Author Topic: Office Software not working while Avast is enabled????  (Read 3386 times)

n33712

Office Software not working while Avast is enabled????
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:56:49 PM »
Hi

Am having a problem where Microsoft Office will not open. Comes up with:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) Click OK to terminate the application

This happens with all Office programs. Have tried a new install but get the same error when running the setup program of the CD.

I don't seem to get this on any other programs (That i have noticed)

Why am i posting for help here? Well if i disable Avast then it all works fine. As soon as it is enabled again, same error!

Can anyone help? This used to work, so am guessing something has changed!

Virus Definitions Version - 120710-0
Program Version - 7.0.1456
Expiration Date - 2013

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Office Software not working while Avast is enabled????
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:49:52 AM »
Hmmm... Any other security program that could be conflicting with avast?
Which is your operational system? Firewall? Office version?
The best things in life are free.

n33712

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:08:44 AM »
Hi

I have Windows Vista 64bit
Firewall is windows own
Office XP

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:23:15 AM »
Hi

Firewall is windows own
Office XP

Office XP can sometimes cause major problems in Windows Vista 64bit because a friend mind has experience this issue, I can't recall how he go about bypassing the problem all he had to do is get the latest MS Office software for Vista platform. Most people have experience problem installing any XP platform software onto Vista, you're better off trying to get the latest version as possible for Vista any software you try an installed lower than Vista is not the best choice.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
Hi

Firewall is windows own
Office XP

Office XP can sometimes cause major problems in Windows Vista 64bit because a friend mind has experience this issue, I can't recall how he go about bypassing the problem all he had to do is get the latest MS Office software for Vista platform. Most people have experience problem installing any XP platform software onto Vista, you're better off trying to get the latest version as possible for Vista any software you try an installed lower than Vista is not the best choice.
This is true, I had Office XP installed in Vista and it would not update successfully through Microsoft Update. All the updates would fail and I had to download them one at a time from the update site and manually install them. Then I acquired a developer's copy of Office 2007 and it works fine in Vista receiving updates and successfully installing them. The only problem is that the applications all have the hideous ribbon interface but you can't have everything.

n33712

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:25:31 AM »
I hear what you are both saying and I don't doubt it for a minute but I have been using Vista and Office XP for years with no problems. Nothing new has been installed etc. Why has it now stopped working? And why does it work perfectly when Avast is disabled?