Author Topic: Boot time scan - virus found  (Read 9581 times)

sztihamer

Re: Boot time scan - virus found
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 09:57:46 PM »
To be honest with you I don't see anything special about the tool. If you like it and other do then feel free to use it. I ran it and only cleaned the the usual stuff that CCleaner does. Actually it found 0 bytes of data in the %systemroot%\temp %systemdrive% %systemroot%, System32 The only extra thing that it did is killed all my running applications, and it made me really angry, because I get disconnected from IRC and a bunch of background processes that I need. The application doesn't save logs, and that's a shame, and restarts the computer without letting it do at a later time.

It's the same thing as CCleaner as far as I see, but CCleaner doesn't require you to close running applications to clean temp files. Only browsers if you want to clean the cache and other stuff. If you like it then use it, but handle it with care because you can loose some Word documents if you are not careful and you don't have saved for a while!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »
The only extra thing that it did is killed all my running applications, and it made me really angry, because I get disconnected from IRC and a bunch of background processes that I need
i did post a warning in red about that.   ;)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
TFC will clean temp files, Java and flash so give it a whirl  ;D

Edit: Added my usual spiel for this

Clear Cache/Temp Files
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.  Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:12:00 PM by essexboy »

drahcir

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »
I guess CCleaner can do pretty much the same stuff and even more. I don't like using these kinds of tools, mostly because I love doing it manually or from a command line. But it's just personal preference, some users prefer other methods of keeping their system tidy. It's up to you what do you like and which is effective for you.

Hey... deleting files from the command line. How do you do that?

sztihamer

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »
It's simple. Just open up an elevated command prompt if you are running Windows Vista or above by running cmd as an administrator, then navigating with the cd (change directory) command to the desired directory and then using the del (delete) command.
You can use tab completion if you don't know the exact file name. Here's an example:
cd %temp%
del filename.extension or del *.* (for all files)
Be careful what you delete if you are not familiar how stuff work in Windows! I know a  bunch of commands just because I used MS-DOS a lot. But here are some useful list of commands if you are interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MS-DOS_commands

drahcir

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 02:24:38 AM »
Got ccleaner. Cleared up over 10 thousand megabytes.