Author Topic: AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error  (Read 3744 times)

torq

AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error
« on: December 30, 2004, 08:33:37 AM »
Hi,
I checked the FAQ and saw the solution there, tried that but all the services mentioned were already set to automatic.

This seems to have happened about the time I reinstalled my ADSL modem (boggle).

Now when I boot the blue Avast icon has the little red bar through it and the system just halts for 20 seconds, then boots on normally.

Hijack listing :
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 08:31:52, on 12/30/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATI9EE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Friendly Technologies\BroadbandAccess\fts.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MSI\Core Center\CoreCenter.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
E:\downloads\HiJack\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX6600 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATI9EE.EXE /P26 "EPSON Stylus CX6600 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX6600"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [%FP%Friendly fts.exe] "C:\Program Files\Friendly Technologies\BroadbandAccess\fts.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: CoreCenter.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSI\Core Center\CoreCenter.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1094400024578
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{808C8DAD-88A7-453D-8862-0388276C07B8}: NameServer = (IP address of no interest to you guys)

This is rather annoying but not criticial. I've tried total reinstall of Avast, same issue.

Help would be welcome

T

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 09:07:30 AM »
Now when I boot the blue Avast icon has the little red bar through it and the system just halts for 20 seconds, then boots on normally.
Is Avast working after the boot is completed?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 12:58:18 PM »
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your computer?
Did you have in the past? Which one?
RPC error is generally related to other antivirus present or, at least, firewall blocking. Do you use a firewall? Which one?

Anyway, RPC error is most likely correct by this procedure:
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the pop up window (Repair).

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

torq

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 06:29:16 PM »
Hi,
Firstly yes Avast works after the reboot (just takes a while for everything to come alive)
No other Antivirus, I am using ZoneAlarm but all is configured well in there and that never caused problems before.

One other things I did have Norton Systemworks 2004, but just Ghost installed. That has however been removed.

Will try suggestions Technical, thankyou.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 06:35:39 PM by torq »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 06:56:11 PM »
If what Technical suggested fails, give startup delayer a try. Link to it is in several threads here on the board.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 08:23:33 PM »
Like Eddy said, try Startup Delayer.
It's the only freeware I've found that controls the windows startup (Windows 98\Me\2k\XP) that does not follow a strict order.

You can set some applications to start very after the boot (logon) itself.  ;)

torq

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 08:51:09 PM »
Hello again
Thankyou both to you guys for being so helpful .. A + service I must say

Some more info now : I tried the start/remove repair, that didnt work unfortunately.

I have tried uninstalling and rebooting as suggested. The delay for the actual system to start loading programs (such as my hardware monitor) is still the same... weird huh?

I have reinstalled and the same problem yet again.

Excuse my next question, but how would the start up delayer help me?

Thanks again for your continued help.

T

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 02:29:57 AM »
I have tried uninstalling and rebooting as suggested. The delay for the actual system to start loading programs (such as my hardware monitor) is still the same... weird huh?

Well, this means that the bad guy could be not avast  ;)

Excuse my next question, but how would the start up delayer help me?

When Windows loads its startup file, it attempts to load every program at the same time. If you have a heap of programs starting, each program will try and grab the CPU at the SAME time!

If each program tries to load at the same time, a great slow-down occurs as your CPU tries to help each one.

Startup Delayer allows programs to start in a more orderly fashion by setting how many seconds after Windows has started, to load each program.  The effect that this gives is that you gain control of the system much faster, and the program that was launched will launch faster as it does not have to share the CPU with other programs.

For Example:  
Suppose a mail program and virus scanner that startup when Windows starts. Using Startup Delayer, have the mail program start at 10 seconds after Windows startup. Then set the virus scanner to start at 20 seconds after Windows startup. Now each program will startup on its own instead of all at once enabling a smoother, speedier startup.