Author Topic: Problem installing Avast!  (Read 2500 times)

Ionthat

Problem installing Avast!
« on: June 17, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
Hi everyone. I recently had to reinstall my operating system, but Avast doesn't seem to want to work properly.

I can install it, and it works fine until a reboot. After a reboot, the Avast UI does not appear and the windows alert center tells me to turn on Avast. When I open up Avast, it says my system is unsecured. It also says

Urgent: avast! service stopped

The avast! antivirus program has been stopped, or is in an inconsistent state. Please re-start the program to resume protecting your system.

Clicking "start program" fixes all my problems until the next reboot. At that point, I'm back to square one.

Does anyone have any advice? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling about four times now and I've already run the repair install.

Thanks for your time.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Problem installing Avast!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:13:33 PM »
When you re-installed was it from a CD or a recovery partition ?   The reason being the recovery partition may have installed another AV

Ionthat

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 06:29:53 PM »
When you re-installed was it from a CD or a recovery partition ?   The reason being the recovery partition may have installed another AV

I reinstalled onto a fresh hard drive. Entirely bare at the time of install.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 07:28:18 PM »
We could do with some information about your system and what version of avast you are trying to install, also if it was a clean install of windows onto a new hard disk have you completed all windows updates ?

Have you tried running the avast removal tool after an uninstall ? ( can sometimes help ).

Ionthat

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »
Thank you for your replies.

The Avast version is 7.0.1426.0.

My system specs:

- Intel 330 SSD 180GB
- 16GB DDR 3 RAM
- Quad core 3.0 AMD Phenom II
- Windows 7 64bit professional

I gave the Avast Removal Tool a shot but no dice. I'm really surprised at the problems I'm having, I've been an Avast user for ages and I've never had an issue. I hope this is fixable, because avast is by far my favorite anti-virus software and it would kill me to have to give it up.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »
Can you please look in services and see if avast is set to automatic.