Author Topic: Windows 7 format and backup using an external HD not working  (Read 1579 times)

james909

Hello

I have two laptops, one with AVAST  anti virus free latest version and one without.  Both laptops have been recently reformatted with Windows 7.  I have an external hard drive.  On the laptop with AVAST I cannot complete a format of the external hard drive.  On the other laptop I can and I can also then use it to back up that laptop.  If I format on the non AVAST machine and then try to back up the AVAST laptop it will not complete.  Is this a known issue with AVAST? Should I uninstall AVAST or is there something I need to change in the settings?

Many thanks

James

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Windows 7 format and backup using an external HD not working
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:48:49 AM »
Are there any warnings or popups by avast saying that it stoping you from doing so ? have you tried disabling avast then see if your able to format the drive.

kaniki

Re: Windows 7 format and backup using an external HD not working
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
another problem might be power. I do not know what you have connected to the USB drives, but if you have nothing on the one and it works on that one, but not on the other and you have something like, say a web cam on it, then it may be that the other USB devise is taking too much power away from the backup drive and the external drive is not working for that reason. Do not forget, USB drives are not solo. They use a hub, so if you have 2 USB plugs, they may both use the same power source for the plugs. I have seen times were there is 4 usb plugs on 1 hub which also mean 4 plugs from 1 power source.