Author Topic: English grammar  (Read 2172 times)

Bob Anderson

English grammar
« on: June 22, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
Today I received a popup reading "You've got basic protection". This is grammatically incorrect. "You've" is a contraction for you have. Therefore the sentence wrongly reads "you have got basic protection". The word  "got" is not required. The popup should read "you have basic protection". Microsoft is to blame for this error becoming common when they introduced the sentence "You've got mail".

-Bob

Hermite15

Re: English grammar
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
I'm stunned  ;D

edit: now seeing that your last post was sent  two and a half years ago, good that you came back to help ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:16:45 PM by logos »

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »
Today I received a popup reading "You've got basic protection". This is grammatically incorrect. "You've" is a contraction for you have. Therefore the sentence wrongly reads "you have got basic protection". The word  "got" is not required. The popup should read "you have basic protection". Microsoft is to blame for this error becoming common when they introduced the sentence "You've got mail".

-Bob

I thought that was AOL but what do I know?
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Bob Anderson

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 04:00:41 PM »
jadinolf: you may be right.

-Bob

philip brampton

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 04:33:08 PM »

-Bob

Bob.
you have to understand that quite a lot the people who write these ???????? are ignoramus.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 05:13:18 PM »
A pretty arrogant statement, when you don't know whom they might be.

The people who write them may not speak/write English as their first language, to say they are ignoramuses, is a bit rich. As has been said Americanisms are creeping in all over.

Personally I'm more concerned that my AV solution provides excellent protection than perfect grammar.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
A pretty arrogant statement, when you don't know whom they might be.

The people who write them may not speak/write English as their first language, to say they are ignoramuses, is a bit rich. As has been said Americanisms are creeping in all over.

Personally I'm more concerned that my AV solution provides excellent protection than perfect grammar.

+1

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
I'm considered quite literate in English (it's my "native" tongue, after all), and yet like most people I sometimes have minor problems with dyslexia resulting in typos.  While both my browser and mailer are set to spell-check as I type, I generally don't bother to correct misspellings if I feel my meaning was clear.  Admittedly there are some rare cases where a single letter can totally change the meaning ... "This is not acceptable" isn't quite the same as "This is now acceptable."

And I take pretty much the same approach when reading others' posts or messages online.  Poor grammar and/or spelling only concern me if the context is such that they'd be a tip-off to the likelihood of spam or a scam.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent