Author Topic: repair of avast  (Read 7924 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: repair of avast
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 11:56:57 PM »
A Repair shouldn't increase the size (other than I have mentioned if it also does a virus definitions update)
+1
The best things in life are free.

selen

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 12:59:19 AM »
Two years ago is a lifetime ago in terms of AV products, that could either have been avast 4.8 or avast 5, additional features have been added in avast 6 & 7 and things are done differently to try to speed things up.

Two years ago I had avast version 5, I know that things are changed with new versions, but this problem linked to the repair of avast exists since that date. Each time I done a repair I saw this increase in growth, but I thought it was a temporary problem and I deceided to ignore it. Now I have finally deceided to explain my problem here on this forum, just because it persists and also to see if other avast users have a similar issue.

Sorry I honestly can see this at all, ignore what has gone before, avast 5&6. Avast 7 when installed is about 250MB on your hard drive, if you were seeing a permanent increase every time you used Repair then it would now be consuming much more.

A Repair shouldn't increase the size (other than I have mentioned if it also does a virus definitions update), but check the integrity of the installation, that may or may not mean 'replacing' a file/s that are damaged, etc. This would generally be replacing a file with one of the same size.

So I can't get a handle on this, a repair increasing the size by over 60mb and it never coming back down.

Since my last post with an image of my avast size Reply #4, I have had another avast update, now look at the size 315mb, wow what a massive jump. This is exactly as described the creation of the new defs sub-folder for the latest definitions. When the avast housekeeping does it job and removes old defs sub-folders it will drop again or there would be no way my other image would have been showing 235mb.
Since I have upgraded to avast 7 I have done only one repair of avast, just one week ago. Avast jumped from 250 Mb to 316 MB. The other 3 repairs were done in the past, with version 5 and 6, and each time avast increased about 50 MB or more.
When my avast updates his VPS definitions I always see an increase of about 10-20 MB, not more. Then, when avast deletes old folders I can see the decrease of this 10-20 MB. Unfortunately the repair function causes a permanent increase of weight on my hard disk. This happens on all my 3 systems. I hope this problem will not interfere with avast prorection from viruses or other options, because I don't know how to solve this situation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 02:07:49 AM »
 VPS update on avast7 would be at least the size of the current defs sub-folder plus the increments.

The current size of the defs sub-folder is around 80mb, so I don't know what version of avast they have, if avast 7 it can't possibly be only 10-20mb.  See image attachments for two of these defs sub-folders. As I have two defs sub-folders my over all avast size would increase by almost 80mb (image3), but after housekeeping that would drop back down.

So I really have no idea what is going on with your systems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

selen

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »
VPS update on avast7 would be at least the size of the current defs sub-folder plus the increments.

The current size of the defs sub-folder is around 80mb, so I don't know what version of avast they have, if avast 7 it can't possibly be only 10-20mb.  See image attachments for two of these defs sub-folders. As I have two defs sub-folders my over all avast size would increase by almost 80mb (image3), but after housekeeping that would drop back down.

So I really have no idea what is going on with your systems.

I understand perfectly what you say...I don't know what's happening on my 3 systems. The current size of my subfolder, containing VPS definitions is 25 MB. I have windows XP and this is what shows me:

Hard disk C/Program Files/ Awil Software/ Avast 5/defs/12062100 and the dimension is 25 MB