Author Topic: No connectivity between clients & SOA after successful deployment  (Read 27992 times)

Redmer

Re: No connectivity between clients & SOA after successful deployment
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
I have exactly the same problem as mentioned. My avastNet.log also looks the same.
I also used the 'unattended deployment' and tested it on Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
Both are encountering the same problem. 

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
Do you see any entries in the avast! Administration Console > ADMIN > Computer login audit trail?

dil

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »
Some of my clients were not connecting to the console - nannunannu comment to change the "fqdn to the ip address of the server" worked. However, some machines connected fine using the FQDN and some needed IP. Is this bug or suggesting that my DNS has gone wrong somewhere?

HomeNet

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »
Here's something....

"%programdata%\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini"

After doing my little aforementioned trick, where I deploy the client software, change the settings in the GUI so it actually points to the server and then restart the service, I noticed my avast5.ini is different than others across the network.  My file has the server's FQDN whereas the other PC's file does not.  There has to be an issue with the deployment package... 

My file:
Code: [Select]
[Common]
PropertyCommunity=1
SBCServerName=h1p-asoac1.homenet.local
SBCServerPort=25322

The other file:
[Common]
PropertyCommunity=0
SBCServerName=
SBCServerPort=25322

HomeNet

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »
Do you see any entries in the avast! Administration Console > ADMIN > Computer login audit trail?

I only see entries from the few PCs that I've done my little setting change in the GUI for.  Other than that, nothing else seems to be checking in.

HomeNet

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 03:01:32 PM »
Some of my clients were not connecting to the console - nannunannu comment to change the "fqdn to the ip address of the server" worked. However, some machines connected fine using the FQDN and some needed IP. Is this bug or suggesting that my DNS has gone wrong somewhere?

From those that could not resolve the FQDN, try to ping that server name and see if you get replies or not.  If you don't, there's a good chance that DNS isn't working correctly on that client.

nannunannu

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
Is this bug or suggesting that my DNS has gone wrong somewhere?

I'm in no way an authoritative source for answering the question if it is a bug - but my instinct is that it isn't a bug, but rather a binding issue for your name services on the client (wins, netbios, dns)... 

I suggested changing that to the address just to conduct basic troubleshoting to eliminate layers involved with network communication from client to server, that is all.

HomeNet

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »
So far, the only bug I'm seeing is the fact that the SOA server's address doesn't get included with the deployment and I have to manually enter it in.

nannunannu

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »
Here's something....

"%programdata%\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini"

After doing my little aforementioned trick, where I deploy the client software, change the settings in the GUI so it actually points to the server and then restart the service, I noticed my avast5.ini is different than others across the network.  My file has the server's FQDN whereas the other PC's file does not.  There has to be an issue with the deployment package... 

My file:
[Common]
PropertyCommunity=1
SBCServerName=h1p-asoac1.homenet.local
SBCServerPort=25322

The other file:
[Common]
PropertyCommunity=0
SBCServerName=
SBCServerPort=25322

Sounds like your server is pushing the standard package, and not creating the customized one for your envinronment.  As a temporary workaround (until someone from avast can fix your server instance), you could try writing an autoit script write the new value for SBCServerName.  Compile it and launch it as part of the users login scripts with an "if exist "%programdata%\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini" \\server\netlogon\compliedfixitscript.exe" line...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:42:43 PM by nannunannu »

HomeNet

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 04:45:37 PM »
On my old setup (ADNM), I used to have to create the package.  Is there no way to fire off that job on this new setup?

nannunannu

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »
On my old setup (ADNM), I used to have to create the package.  Is there no way to fire off that job on this new setup?

I think it builds it on the fly when you try to download it from the https://server:8732/Install.aspx?prod=EPS link...  Again, not the authoritative source, but when I tried it "just worked"...

HomeNet

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »

I think it builds it on the fly when you try to download it from the https://server:8732/Install.aspx?prod=EPS link...  Again, not the authoritative source, but when I tried it "just worked"...

Well, if that's the case, it's not working for me.  When I click on my link under Admin > Settings > Setup, it takes me to a download button but it goes no further once I choose to download.

HomeNet

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »
This is just getting worse and worse...  I've already chimed in on another thread about the lacking mirror-update job.  Now, the few servers that I had all green are now showing as disconnected.  This happened about the time I started troubleshooting the mirror-update job.  The only thing I've done in the way of troubleshooting that is running it from the GUI and running mirror.exe from a command line.  I thought it was something wrong with the clients so I restarted the two Avast services that are installed on the client-side.  After doing that, I got a red box on the client's screen, saying it would no longer receive any updates 'cause the license was out of date.  I just got the 2-year license from Avast 2012-06-20! 

4.8 was old and busted but 7 is full of holes.  I'm not sure which I was better

Offline brandon0413

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »
I'm having the same problems. We just purchased a new license on the 3rd.

I installed Small Office Admin on a Win Svr 2008 R2 server and went through the setup wizard. I deployed to one Windows 7 pc and one Windows XP pc. Both showed the status as unknown. Neither client had the server name in the settings, so I entered it manually on one pc. It then showed as connected and looked well, but then showed as disconnected sometime after that and still shows disconnected.

Also, the Update server definitions job always fails and the link to download the client install does not work.

If I don't find a solution quick, my boss is going to want me to look into another solution.

HomeNet

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
Yeah, there was supposed to have been an update to the install file while I was on vaca last week.  I'm not sure if that ever happened, as both the installers seem to install the same version (1.2.2.8)

Our parent company is also setting up meetings for talks about moving to Symantec...