Author Topic: Cannot update program, virus database  (Read 15545 times)

BillKnny

Re: Cannot update program, virus database
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »
Ta Da!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
Tech,

As you can see from above I have found the cause (in my case)  and a workaound.  I had tried everything I know (not a lot) to kill the avast.setup process and had no luck.  Any ideas?

Bill
Sorry. Seems that David has posted the way to it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »
Ta Da!

You're welcome.

avast is still one of the most configurable anti-virus applications.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 08:32:18 PM »
BillKnny,

Do you use a router with your internet service?  If so, you could have it automatically login for you (I'm assuming you have DSL Broadband, but you may have dial-up).
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
Presumably not dial-up as I gave him the instructions for broadband and that appears to work (as in Ta Da) ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
lol, I know that you're advise worked, but I figured it would be nice for his router to keep him connected all the time, rather than to have him mess with config settings on his computer.

Just tryin to help...  ;)
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 09:48:18 PM »
Well having the router login for you could be leaving a slight security hole if your connection is available immediately.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 09:53:58 PM »
I don't really see how.  If he only has one computer connected to the network and it's off, what difference does it make if his internet connection is on and connected?

Then, when his computer turns on, he's most likely turning on the internet after he logs in.  Which is pretty much the same as if he had it already connected, minus the time wasted by actually turning it on.

Besides, that's why most routers do a sort of firewall and SPI detection themselves, as well as having firewalls on the PC.

To each his own though.  I get what you're saying, but I think that most people that have DSL and a router, usually have their router set to PPPoE and have their username and password programmed in it.  That's why broadband is usually referred to as, "always on".

edit - *woops... missed a "P" in PPPoE*
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:56:59 PM by scythe944 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
The main words in my comment are the words 'slight risk.'

Presumably the router is switched on at the same time as the computer,

Whilst I don't have broadband and consequently a router. I think that most people have their routers at the default settings and have little or no idea of securing it. This seems to have been the case in that google issue collecting data from peoples systems using their street cars for google street view.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »
Hey now, wait a minute.  I heard that on the radio the other day, and the only thing they were recording were wireless SSID's and whether or not they were secured.  Then, they said it was a mistake and they were going to stop doing that.

However, I completely agree
I think that most people have their routers at the default settings and have little or no idea of securing it.

So, if the OP doesn't know how to put their PPPoE credentials into their router, then it might be a better idea that they didn't, in case they do have wireless and don't know how to secure it.  If it's only a wired router though, I'd say do it!  It'll make life a lot easier...

BillKnny

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 06:02:13 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts guys, but they really don't apply to my situation.  The network I use is a semi-public wireless net in the marina where I keep my boat, so I don't have control of the router.

This is obviously a new issue with Version 5.X because older versions never had this problem.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
Gotcha.  Well, as long as we (or David) got it fixed, then we're happy.

Come back anytime.