Author Topic: Just did a Boot Time Scan and found ntfs.sys infected with WIN32: Malware-Gen  (Read 1641 times)

Offline EmoHobo

I'm not very skilled with computers so I could use some help, also I think I accidentally deleted this file on my backup hardrive because I was panicking, is this going to cause any trouble?

On my main hard drive, which is the one windows boots off of, I just put it in my virus chest.

When trying to submit it to Virus Total Avast deleted it again, however I managed to upload it still: https://www.virustotal.com/file/97606850041de4e568188fb28aa3d5b10a4e96db9551a77bc3a17ed67d5d4474/analysis/1356254701/

Can someone help me fix this but please forgive me as I'm still quite new to all of this.

Just did a scan with MalwareBytes and it found it to be clean.  Is this some kind of false positive?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:31:05 AM by EmoHobo »

kailash

Hi, join the club mate. I've done six scans since Dec 16th and found what I assume to be a false positive Win32:Malware-gen every time. I have put each one thru Virus Total and all have come back negative. Not being much of a techie I have gleaned from some other threads on this forum that this a known problem and will be corrected with next program update. I'm a bit peeved with Avast myself and have even considered going back to AVG after five years with Avast. I deleted the first one I found as suggested by Avast and had to restore my system because it was a drive. As I said I don't know much about these things, but have learnt a little more now. So just leave it alone it comes back negative after sending to Virus Total and wait and see what comes with next program update.