Author Topic: Computer won't start anymore after installation...  (Read 7083 times)

Offline Ohtaror

Computer won't start anymore after installation...
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »
Hello, I've been using avast antivirus for a couple of years now on my own computer (and for my parents). But now I was quite sure my girlfriend had a virus. She had norton antivirus (but her key was expired already quite some time) so I removed Norton with the Norton Removing Tool and for as far as I know everything was gone after the restart.

I downloaded latest version of avast antivirus, home edition (Dutch) and installed it on her laptop (HP Pavilion DV6000 with vista) everything went fine till avast asked (after the restart) to check all disks.

So it start checking which went OK op to 8% there it said that power dvd was infected. I tried to repair but that wasn't possible so I removed it. After some time the checking continued. And between 12 and 15% it took more than 30 minutes. When I looked back 5 minutes later the computer was in standby mode. So I start it again but the screen stays black (which, my girlfriend said, is normal for about 10 up to 60 seconds) for about 10 minutes and goes to standby again. I tried the same thing and the same thing happens again.

Now I try it again but I reset it during the 'black gap' and the computer starts up normally! Than I can choose between repair and start up normally (the normal vista screen after a crash). I chose to repair and now the computer switches itself completely off.

When I push the power button now it only gives 3 blinks of the battery-led but nothing else happens......

Anyone got an idea what to do?

Thanks in advance,
Sander

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Computer won't start anymore after installation...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:45:46 PM »
Try taking the battery out for a few minutes then rebooting. If you don't get to the bios screen, it could be a hardware problem.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:33:24 PM »
Ohtaror, can you boot in Safe Mode?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Ohtaror

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:45:52 PM »
I can't do anything... When I push the power button the led that indicates there is power left blinks 3 times but nothing else happens...

But I took the battery about an half an hour ago out of the laptop, and try to put it back in now... I'll keep you updated...

EDIT: Same thing happened, maybe I didn't wait long enough?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:48:11 PM by Ohtaror »

Offline Ohtaror

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:47:20 PM »
Ok, after doing this, I get the visa screen gain and this time it repaired properly.

How should I install avast for not getting these kind of troubles? (remember: this computer is already infected for sure!)

EDIT: The program avast isn't installed but the files are already in the folder 'Program Files' should I use these are start all over?

EDIT2: I used te norton remover tool again and downloaded avast again and installed it like nothing happened before but I didn't let it check all disks at the end of the installation! So first let the computer restart and than check everything. Now everything works fine!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:24:20 PM by Ohtaror »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 11:22:15 PM »
How should I install avast for not getting these kind of troubles? (remember: this computer is already infected for sure!)

EDIT2: I used te norton remover tool again and downloaded avast again and installed it like nothing happened before but I didn't let it check all disks at the end of the installation! So first let the computer restart and than check everything. Now everything works fine!
Run Norton uninstall tool again and be sure none other application is conflicting with avast.

EDIT: The program avast isn't installed but the files are already in the folder 'Program Files' should I use these are start all over?
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Jamanta

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:38:02 PM »
I had a same problem, Safe Mode has not helped ...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »
I had a same problem, Safe Mode has not helped ...
Which was your old antivirus? How did you uninstall it?
Which Windows are you using?

bobo1

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 12:25:23 AM »
Bios battery dead! or dying may cause problems on booting?.
Can you access control pannel and select power management in safe mode and disable standbye (Try starting laptop and keep hitting F8) and uninstall avast ? and try again.