Author Topic: Question: Avast and auto repair  (Read 2392 times)

plasticmonkey007

Question: Avast and auto repair
« on: April 11, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »
Hello everyone,

First of all i am sorry if this has been done to death.

I love the product but when i set it to scan my PC over night  when it finds something it stops completely and waits for me to decide on how to take care of the problem.
that kind of defeats the purpose if i have to sit there at the computer for hours waiting for the chance of it asking for me to make a decision.

Also, I've noticed that it almost never gives the option to repair the file or remove the virus just the quarantine delete or do nothing.

So i guess my question is this.

how do i alleviate these issues?
       or is there no way of doing these things?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Question: Avast and auto repair
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »
These automated options are only available in the Pro version. This is a limitation of the Home (free) version that it has interactive input requirement, there have to be differences in the Home/Pro version and this is one of them, the programmers have to eat ;D

In the Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. This way, no action will be taken and you will given the results at the end of the scan (and you can perform actions from there), you would however, have to respond to that first detection.

Over time this will become less of an issue, as the resident, on-access scanners are designed to intercept infection before it gets into your system.

Trojans generally can't be repaired (either by the VRDB or avast virus cleaner), because the entire content of the file is malware, so it is either move to chest or delete, move to the chest being the best option (first do no harm). When a file is in the chest it can't do any harm and you can investigate the infected warning.

The VRDB only protects certain files, mainly .exe files, it doesn't protect data files or all files, it is not a back-up program, so there are going to be many occasions where repair won't be an option.

Only true virus infection can be repaired, e.g. when a virus infects a file it adds a small part to it, provided that file is one that avast's VRDB would monitor and you have run the VRDB, then it may be possible to repair the file to its uninfected state.

However, for the most part so called viruses, trojans (adware/spyware/malware, etc.) can't be repaired because the complete content of the file is malicious.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

plasticmonkey007

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »
Thank you very much for replying the info you gave is very helpfull..and probbaly profitable to the makers of Avast LMAO

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:27:47 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security