Poll

Please say whether or not Firefox Lags or Freezes when Avast is in use.

Avast  seems ok with Firefox, I have not noticed problems.
16 (55.2%)
Avast works well with Firefox, and does not improbve markedly if Avast is disabled/unistalled
6 (20.7%)
Firefox freezes or lags, but I have not compared this with Avast uninstalled
1 (3.4%)
Firefox lags or freezes, and improves a lot when Avast is uninstalled
4 (13.8%)
I think I have discovered a problem and include details (with or without a solution)
0 (0%)
Ohther comment
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: July 27, 2012, 11:32:08 PM

Author Topic: Firefox users, can you help please, does avast work ok without Firefox lagging  (Read 16827 times)

John99

Update (15th July):
  • FlashPlayer 11.3  >:( issues seem to be of concern to some, so I have added some notes and links about that. (and  RealPlayer)
  •   :) My  current conclusion is that the majority of you seem to be agreeing that Firefox should work ok with Avast, and that Avast will not cause Firefox to lag.

Hi,

I hope it is ok to post such a question, and thank in advance anyone wishing to help.
My initial presumption is that Firefox will work with Avast, but someone is saying otherwise, and obviously it is difficult to prove one way or the other without some sort of data.

If you do comment it would help if you could give a bit of additional information
  • Type of device (netbook, multicore desktop etc)
  • Type and version of Avast
  • Operating system and version
  • Firefox version (e.g fx13 or fx14 or ESR)

Cheers, John

Background information

I post on the official Firefox  support forums where I am a moderator. Someone contends Avast is responsible for Firefox lagging and freezing. (1 & 2) I am hoping to show this is unlikely. I suspect that particular user has other unresolved issues. Alternatively if there are problems I will look for workarounds or solutions and if necessary bring this to the attention of developers.

I realise that in fact results on this forum could be heavily biased, if for instance this forum has mainly users looking for solutions, many of them may have problems with Firefox but all I really need is a few genuine examples of users confirming Firefox and Avast work together without problems.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:34:29 AM by John99 »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
That's all we need is a freaking poll. If Firefox wants to stay in the game they should concentrate more on putting out a better product. I have started using Chrome more than FF because Chrome is faster and more reliable when it comes to Flash Player usage. Instead of trying to keep up the rapid fire releases FF should put more effort into quality. Yes FF has add-ons but then again so does Chrome. Firefox is no longer king of the hill. So it seems they are wrongly bashing avast. The problem isn't avast...it's Firefox itself. IMHO

I have had no problems with using avast and FF.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
I beg to differ,

Firefox is the ultimate browser if you know how to use it right.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Spectacle

I checked the box for 'I think I have discovered a problem' the last box in poll.

I believe I was using Avast when I tried out Firefox. The program seemed to work but not well. It was impossible to use unless I allowed all 1st Party Cookies on my machine. That meant accumulating all sorts of unwanted session cookies, tracking cookies, adware cookies etc. if I wanted to use Firefox.

I posted this on Firefox forum and requested help for how to use Firefox without accepting every single cookie anybody wanted to drop on my machine. I got no replies or assistance or suggestions after a week of asking so I was forced to uninstall. Obviously I don't want all those cookies for security reasons. This website we're on here demands 1st Party Cookies be allowed in order to post, which forces a security compromise if I forget to disallow after posting here.

If Firefox worked without demanding 1st Party Cookies be allowed from all websites I would have used it because otherwise I use IE6, far less than good! Not sure how Avast effected it, never got much of a chance to find out if that was part of the problem.

I answered here because it's possible people on your forum aren't aware that Firefox will glitch and stumble without 1st Party Cookies enabled and are blaming it on Avast.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:21:39 AM by Spectacle »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
I beg to differ,

+1

The combination of Avast and Firefox is fast, safe, and highly configurable.  I have no reason to consider another browse or antivirus.  I do have Opera installed, but only open it rarely.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
I was "not" bashing Firefox. I was just stating my opinion. I have said this in the past and I will say it again, "I prefer Firefox". It's that Firefox is trying too hard to keep a rapid fire update schedule that quality is not what it once was. In fact I am using FF right now. FF has more security features than Chrome and is more customizable than Chrome. FF should concentrate on quality and "not" quantity.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
I beg to differ,

+100 ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@    Para-Noid
The point is the OP is asking specifically about firefox in conjunction with avast.

So everything other than "I have had no problems with using avast and FF." is off-topic and isn't relevant.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
I have firefox on my computer and no problems
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
@  DavidR  In the OP's post he had a subsection concerning background information. All I was doing was trying to give some direction. Which after all is why they posted in the first place. The OP wants to improve FF. So do I.  8)

The OP has reason to be concerned http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

iroc9555

@ John99

You only have to browse Avast! forums and take a look at some of the member signatures. Many of them run FF on their machines.

John99

Thanks for the replies. So far initial posts and votes are suggesting Avast and Firefox should co-exist without causing lagging and freezing.

Something I did not ask initially: does Avast have any particular settings that do cause problems, maybe things such as background disk scanning, database downloads.

I am not a developer and can not promise to improve Firefox, but I will attempt where possible to answer some support questions, improve answers and KB documents, and file bugs if  previously unreported regressions or problems come to my attention.

... Instead of trying to keep up the rapid fire releases FF should put more effort into quality.  ....
 So it seems they are wrongly bashing avast. The problem isn't avast...it's Firefox itself. IMHO

I have had no problems with using avast and FF.

The rapid release policy is IMHO a good principle, but I agree it could have been implemented in a better manner. I think the teething troubles are subsiding now.

Firefox is not bashing Avast (well not on this occasion anyway  ;)  ) It is a single user with a problem, but someone who claims others support the opinion. I hope to use the poll results to defend Avast's reputation 

I checked the box for 'I think I have discovered a problem' the last box in poll. ....

I posted this on Firefox forum and requested help for how to use Firefox without accepting every single cookie anybody wanted to drop on my machine. I got no replies or assistance or suggestions after a week of asking so I was forced to uninstall.  ....

I answered here because it's possible people on your forum aren't aware that Firefox will glitch and stumble without 1st Party Cookies enabled and are blaming it on Avast.

• Was your question on the official Firefox support site ?
  • If so have you still got a link for the question, and can you post it ?
  • If not maybe you would like to  post again using

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
I believe Firefox is scheduled for an upgrade on the 17th of July so listing the version will be important.
As of right now the current version of avast is 7.0.1456 and the current version of Firefox is 13.0.1.

There were issues with Firefox, Adobe flash player 11.3 and Realplayer. Crashes while going full screen and
crashes while closing Firefox. Has this been ruled out?

I would also question which add-ons are installed in Firefox. Have all add-ons been disabled to see if it may be an add-on causing this?
Enable one at a time to see if the problem persists.

Conflicting security software?

Please ask this person if he updated over the top or if it was a clean install of avast. Most recent version of avast?

I don't notice any problems with Firefox and Avast.

edit: I just read this person's post. It seems he has many more problems than just Firefox freezing. Also, he is using Firefox 11. I don't think I would waste the energy trying to track this down if this person is going to use outdated software. How many other people have had this complaint with avast and Firefox lagging on the Mozilla forum? Advanced System Care should not be installed along with avast. Spybot with teatimer should not be used with avast. Overkill and too many conflicting security solutions. Keep avast free and malwarebytes pro and scrap the rest.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:38:09 AM by Charyb »

Arnold72

ive stopped using FF because of the constant freezing and annoying "not responding " messages.
It seems to be a problem with the flash player.
Im now using google chrome which does seem slightly faster.
They keep releasing updates far too quickly and the product is suffering because of this.
I hope they sort it out soon.
Regards. >:(

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Firefox has never crashed for me. It also warns the user of an unresponsive script. A common crash 'trick' using while to repeatedly call the code inside is stopped by Firefox. IE crashes. See attachments.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."