Author Topic: Trying out the beta...  (Read 6256 times)

mslaceyrose

Trying out the beta...
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »

Hi, new to the forum here. I have avast!  Internet Security full version on my laptop,  and have been trying the Mobile Security on my rooted  Honeycomb (soon to be ICS) Toshiba Thrive 10 inch tablet, HTK55D.31.5 0003 (DaleNet OOM Rooted ROM) and overclocked at 1.336 currently. I will probably be installing avast!  on my smartphone as well. I had another mobile AV product, but when I saw another Thrive Forums member's posts about avast, ( member Cooby here) I decided I liked that avast! has the firewall,  which the other AV did not have. Now I just have to learn how to use the firewall effectively.

I'm pretty novice to all of this so I'm just trying out the features of the beta and learning how it operates. I've only begun to explore it. Here are a few things I like so far and some things I'm wondering about:

I have an app that I have denied the Contacts permission to with the Permissions Denied app.  In Privacy Advisor, when I choose to be shown all apps that have access to Contacts, it shows me all apps that originally had that permission, even the one I have denied the permission to. However, when I click on the app's name, the list of privacy issues does not include access to contacts. So the true current state of the permissions on my system is being correctly reported there.

Application Management is very handy. Lots of info in one place. CPU & Memory usage, App Size,access to Privacy Advisor and one tap to get an app's system info, which In normally have to get to by going to: Settings>Applications>Manage Applications, scrolling to the app, and tapping on it. Like that feature a lot. Haven't tested anything there any further than getting aquainted.

To test Shield Control, I am using the stock browser on my Thrive, (which I otherwise never use) since Chrome isn't available to me until ICS comes to my device, and I don't use the other currently supported browsers.  I normally use Dolphin HD and Opera Mobile.  Are you planning to have support for those browsers? Pleeease
App Shield... is that by any chance the "on execution" scan? Where can I find the setting for allowing or disallowing scan on execution? I don't see it anywhere in settings, or under the "virus scanner" tab.
Message Shield.. I assume this is disabled in beta as well?
Phishing and Malicious Sites hasn' t turned up anything,  but I assume they are working. Will attempt to go to some known Phishing sites later to test.

Site Correct works great.  I typed in Web addresses incorrectly, and they were corrected automatically.  The only question I have there... Am I assuming correctly that "automatically redirect"  check box is disabled during beta? I assume so because the box was grayed out and I was not being asked before redirect, even though the box is not checked. This is getting long, so just a couple more questions and I'll leave you alone for now.

Saw one of the features is an avast widget?  I have the notification icon but no widget in my widgets list.

Did I mess something up? In settings, under Updates I tapped "check for updates now"  and said "update successful"  and the version changed to read this: current version 120726-2 and next to that it said (in 5 hours). In my tablets "manage applications" version # is still listed as 2. 0. 2560

Thank you. If there's any way I can help just post or email me

Offline ZombieZoom

• avast! Super Sayajin since 2008
Re: Trying out the beta...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:06:00 AM »
Hi there :)
I can only respond to 2 things and I'll leave the rest to the moderators..

1. Dolphin will not be supported unfortunately, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=101649.msg813456#msg813456
2. "Update successful" is referring to virus signature database updates, so  2. 0. 2560 is version number + build of Avast! Mobile Security and 120726-2 is the current virus signature database version (back then).

cooby

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:24:48 AM »
@mslaceyrose, Hello to another Thrive person :)

App Shield... is that by any chance the "on execution" scan? Where can I find the setting for allowing or disallowing scan on execution? I don't see it anywhere in settings, or under the "virus scanner" tab.
Click Shield control, App shield.
It shows App shield check
It shows Scan apps on installation check
It shows Scan apps on execution check - this is the one you're interested in - just uncheck temporarily.

Yes, disabled, is for phones.

Saw one of the features is an avast widget?  I have the notification icon but no widget in my widgets list.
Never used a widget. Never found a reason for those things in Windows in Opera, nor here for anything. Sorry :)

under Updates I tapped "check for updates now"  and said "update successful"  and the version changed to read this: current version 120726-2 and next to that it said (in 5 hours). In my tablets "manage applications" version # is still listed as 2. 0. 2560
What zombiezoom said is correct.
Don't confuse upgrade and update. Here or in Windows. Upgrade refers to the engine version. Updates usually to the virus definition files. Mine is the same.

@FilipH, could this useful thread be moved to BETA2 section, PLEASE.

svehlak

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:36:09 AM »

Hi, new to the forum here. I have avast!  Internet Security full version on my laptop,  and have been trying the Mobile Security on my rooted  Honeycomb (soon to be ICS) Toshiba Thrive 10 inch tablet, HTK55D.31.5 0003 (DaleNet OOM Rooted ROM) and overclocked at 1.336 currently. I will probably be installing avast!  on my smartphone as well. I had another mobile AV product, but when I saw another Thrive Forums member's posts about avast, ( member Cooby here) I decided I liked that avast! has the firewall,  which the other AV did not have. Now I just have to learn how to use the firewall effectively.

>> Thanks for info, we still have some issues on Thrive, it is kind of special tablet, but we are working on it.

I'm pretty novice to all of this so I'm just trying out the features of the beta and learning how it operates. I've only begun to explore it. Here are a few things I like so far and some things I'm wondering about:

I have an app that I have denied the Contacts permission to with the Permissions Denied app.  In Privacy Advisor, when I choose to be shown all apps that have access to Contacts, it shows me all apps that originally had that permission, even the one I have denied the permission to. However, when I click on the app's name, the list of privacy issues does not include access to contacts. So the true current state of the permissions on my system is being correctly reported there.

>> I do not understand well, where you did disable the permission? Every application has own permission declared in manifest and it is not so easy to just disable one of the permission or any to the application.
     Privacy Advisor is reading the manifest of the apps and show you potentially unsafe or expensive ones, or, better, permissions which apps does not need for its function.

To test Shield Control, I am using the stock browser on my Thrive, (which I otherwise never use) since Chrome isn't available to me until ICS comes to my device, and I don't use the other currently supported browsers.  I normally use Dolphin HD and Opera Mobile.  Are you planning to have support for those browsers? Pleeease

>> For now only Firefox (plug in) and Chrome (plug in), but yes, we are planning to add protection into Dolphin HD, but first we have to do some negotiation with the developers of Dolphin, so stay tuned :-)

>> Assuming you having beta - there is tab in main screen named "shields control" where you can find "App Shield/Scan apps on execution"

Phishing and Malicious Sites hasn' t turned up anything,  but I assume they are working. Will attempt to go to some known Phishing sites later to test.

>> OK, in any case of error please let us know.

Site Correct works great.  I typed in Web addresses incorrectly, and they were corrected automatically.  The only question I have there... Am I assuming correctly that "automatically redirect"  check box is disabled during beta? I assume so because the box was grayed out and I was not being asked before redirect, even though the box is not checked. This is getting long, so just a couple more questions and I'll leave you alone for now.

>> Well, in case the SiteCorrect is reacting, the button for redirecting should be accessible. You can also set this option in "Shield control/Web Shield/SiteCorrect"

>> Yes, the widget is there, you should see it in the widgets list. But as I said before, we have some issues on Thrive, so may be this is one of them :-)

Did I mess something up? In settings, under Updates I tapped "check for updates now"  and said "update successful"  and the version changed to read this: current version 120726-2 and next to that it said (in 5 hours). In my tablets "manage applications" version # is still listed as 2. 0. 2560

>> That is OK, updating is done by streaming, so the versions could have some strange numbers. Definition updates are published approx. every 4 hours.

cooby

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »
Re: avast widget
On my Thrive it is in the widget list.
I dragged it out. It has several functions and all did what I'd expect them to do.

svehlak

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »
Oh thx for info, nice to hear.