Author Topic: Can't Update Avast...  (Read 6471 times)

demon42

Can't Update Avast...
« on: October 10, 2006, 02:58:09 AM »
Hey guys,

So, for the past few weeks, every so often I'd get the "update was unable to finish... click here for more details" message from Avast. When I click there, nothing ever happens.  :(

When I right click the Avast icon, and go to Updating --> iAVS Update and click... nothing happens.   :-\

When I go to the Avast website, download the most recent update, and run the exe... I get the folowing error message: :'(
Can't install VPS Update, report the following errorcodes:
ver. 4.7.871
SI: 0x00000002
ST: 0x00000002
LE: 0x00000000.

Today is the first time my Windows Security Alert told me that I don't have the most recent version:
avast! antivirus 4.7.871 [VPS 0639-4] reports that it might be out of date...

Please help?

P.S. I'm sorry if this is a repost... I searched, and couldnt find anyone else with my problem!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 03:07:39 AM by demon42 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't Update Avast...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 03:17:06 AM »
Can you, please, basically, check:

1) If the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).
    You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.

2) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).

3) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
    If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

4)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
The best things in life are free.

demon42

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 03:42:59 AM »
Quote from: Tech
Can you, please, basically, check:

1) If the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).
    You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.
servers.def  11 KB
Just in case, I saved the servers.def file from files.avast.com over my old servers.def file... but problems still present.

2) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).
Updates expiration: Sunday, April 01, 2007 12:00:00 AM

3) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
    If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.
Disabled firewall, renamed avast.setup to avast.setup.old, tried to update. A file called avast.setup was created, but nothing else happened... is avast.setup supposed to be 0 bytes???

4)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
Clicking the Proxy button in settings didn't bring up any new dialog boxes! However, there is not a proxy on my network...

Does FireFox(my primary browser) have a "work offline" option? I checked iexplore, but it isn't set to work offline.

Thanks for your help so far!

raby

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 03:58:05 AM »
Hey guys,

So, for the past few weeks, every so often I'd get the "update was unable to finish... click here for more details" message from Avast. When I click there, nothing ever happens.  :(

When I right click the Avast icon, and go to Updating --> iAVS Update and click... nothing happens.   :-\

When I go to the Avast website, download the most recent update, and run the exe... I get the folowing error message: :'(
Can't install VPS Update, report the following errorcodes:
ver. 4.7.871
SI: 0x00000002
ST: 0x00000002
LE: 0x00000000.

Today is the first time my Windows Security Alert told me that I don't have the most recent version:
avast! antivirus 4.7.871 [VPS 0639-4] reports that it might be out of date...

Please help?

P.S. I'm sorry if this is a repost... I searched, and couldnt find anyone else with my problem!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 03:15:28 PM »
Quote from: demon42
Disabled firewall, renamed avast.setup to avast.setup.old, tried to update. A file called avast.setup was created, but nothing else happened... is avast.setup supposed to be 0 bytes???
avast.setup isn't a permanent file it is only created at the time of the update and is removed on completion. Effectively it is made up of the setup.ovr and this topic might be relevant http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18940.0, check for the existence of setup.ovr in the avast setup folder.

If it is missing try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

Quote from: demon42
Clicking the Proxy button in settings didn't bring up any new dialog boxes! However, there is not a proxy on my network...

Does FireFox(my primary browser) have a "work offline" option? I checked iexplore, but it isn't set to work offline.

1. That would seem indicate there is a problem with your avast installation, the repair above may help.
2. Firefox does have a work off-line, File, Work Offline. However, this doesn't have any impact as the update doesn't use any browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 05:35:51 PM »
is avast.setup supposed to be 0 bytes???
Not a problem. See David's answers.

Clicking the Proxy button in settings didn't bring up any new dialog boxes!
Well, this indicate that an update IS in progress... nothing more than this.
Click CTRL+ALT+DEL and kill avast.setup process that should be running.
You can't change update settings at the same time you're updating (even you don't know or want to update at that time).

Remove the entry for avast.setup into your firewall settings and start update again.
By the way, which is your firewall?

demon42

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 06:08:54 PM »
Quote from: DavidR
check for the existence of setup.ovr in the avast setup folder.
It's not there!

Quote from: DavidR
If it is missing try a repair of avast.
Same setiface error as seen here and here!

Click CTRL+ALT+DEL and kill avast.setup process that should be running.
avast.setup isn't running  :(

By the way, which is your firewall?
Just the windows firewall.

Seems like the second link (topic 12668) is from somewone with the exact same issue I have... Unfortunately, it's unclear how exactly they solved the problem!

Is a complete re-install suggested? I'm not even entirely sure how to do that since I get the setiface error when I try to remove!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 06:10:33 PM by demon42 »

demon42

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 06:28:07 PM »
I'm not even entirely sure how to do that since I get the setiface error when I try to remove!
Ah, okay, I found aswclear... is this what I should do? Or are there any other ideas for actually fixing the problem?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 06:51:51 PM »
Download and save the latest version of avast, ready for a re-install.

Since trying to use add remove programs for a repair causes a setiface error the same I believe would happen for an uninstall. You can try it, if it does allow you to uninstall do it and reboot, otherwise skip the uninstall of avast.

Double click the aswClear.exe and that will carry out an uninstall of avast, reboot.
Install avast using the latest version you downloaded and saved, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

demon42

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:59:01 PM »
I re-installed Avast, and everything seems to be working fine!

Thanks for all your help DavidR and Tech!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 08:48:46 PM »
Glad that we could help, wecome to the forums.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 10:04:08 PM »
I re-installed Avast, and everything seems to be working fine!
Glad it worked after all  :)

avast.setup isn't running  :(
Can you try the proxy window again now and see if it works?