Author Topic: mail scanner icon  (Read 4278 times)

nannah88

mail scanner icon
« on: October 10, 2006, 04:09:43 AM »
Hi all,

i seem to have the mail scanner icon in my desktop tray constantly. Can anyone tell me why this is?  i dont run outlook or any similar provider, all my mail is run through yahoo online.  the messages it says it is checking when i run my mouse over it always look like junk mail, eg mail20.messagelabs.com. 

Any help much appreciated!

Han

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: mail scanner icon
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 10:16:10 AM »
It's rather strange - MessageLabs is a known security-related company.
If you run the Task Manager, can you see any suspicious process (with higher CPU usage, for example)?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 05:29:34 PM »
In this cases, when you don't know if you're infected or not, I suggest that you:

1) Disable System Restore on Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;310405
2) Clean your temporary files.
3) Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot.
4) Use a-squared, Free AVG Antispyware, SUPERantispyware or Spyware Terminator (trojan removers).

Post the results and ask for further help  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Linda2632

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 05:38:42 PM »
I also am having a problem with the email icon and its constant scanning which causes a timeout before I receive my email.  I am using W2K, Thunderbird email and Mailwasher. I have shut down mailwasher thinking it may be the problem but the problem still appears when I go directly to my email program.  I tried shutting down mail scanning (till reboot) and my email then comes in fine.  I am also using sygate firewall.  Not sure what other symptoms I should mention but I am hopeful someone can give me a solution. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 05:44:14 PM »
I also am having a problem with the email icon and its constant scanning which causes a timeout before I receive my email.  I am using W2K, Thunderbird email and Mailwasher. I have shut down mailwasher thinking it may be the problem but the problem still appears when I go directly to my email program.  I tried shutting down mail scanning (till reboot) and my email then comes in fine.  I am also using sygate firewall.  Not sure what other symptoms I should mention but I am hopeful someone can give me a solution. Thanks.
Here you can see more about timeouts into Internet Mail provider and your email account: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11380.msg96646#msg96646

Since avast! version 4.7.807 the mail scanner module ("Internet Mail" provider) has been significantly changed to improve the overall user experience, especially in case of slow connections (dial-up). Namely, most of (if not all) the "Timeout expired" related problems should be gone by now.

You can increase both your avast! timeout: Internet Mail provider > Customize > Advanced (tab)
and your email account timeout (generally, right click the email account, choose properties and the Advanced tab of settings).
See pictures here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17460.msg148474#msg148474

Hope this helps  ;)

Offline Linda2632

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 06:47:41 PM »
Thank you for your quick response.  I will certainly try your suggestions but since this has just started happening recently (in the past day or two)  and I am on high speed cable, I dont' hold out much hope that it will help.  The mail icon comes on at login of my email and constantly scans or freezes (not sure what is going on).  It says at the bottom of the window pane "host contacted...sending login information" and then times out after a minute or so.  When I hover my mouse over the icon, it shows my IP's address.  I just can't get my email unless I terminate the email section of avast.  Thanks again.

Offline Linda2632

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 07:35:05 PM »
Well, think I have solved my problem.  Seems my IP is the culprit.....even though when I phoned to inquire there were "no problems to report"!  Things seem to be working reasonably fine now with the odd problem that corrects after a bit.  I have always found Avast to be an excellent program and have never ever had a problem with it before so guess I should have known.  Thanks,  Linda

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 10:09:40 PM »
I have always found Avast to be an excellent program and have never ever had a problem with it before so guess I should have known.
Anyway, feel free to come back and ask for help in this point or any other else  ;)