Author Topic: Directions for excluding/ignoring item?  (Read 8845 times)

Offline chameleon

Directions for excluding/ignoring item?
« on: November 12, 2006, 09:51:58 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have had a problem with PSKILL.EXE for awhile now.

I had originally put it in Chest, but avast! kept on making alarm bells, so then I deleted it.

But avast! keeps on indicating it finds it.

I.  have run ewido anti-spyware & adaware (in safe mode & normal mode) and they do not find anything amiss.

2. I have also run many scans with online antivirus tools (trendmicro, symantec, RAV) and they also do not pick anything up.

3. I have turned system restore off, restarted, etcetera.

Nothing helps.

I understand that PSKILL.EXE can be a legitimate tool that can be used for harm, but in any case, I want avast! to stop the alarm bells. I have done everything I can and I'd rather just ignore it.

Can someone direct me on how I can put PSKILL.EXE on some sort of Ignore list?

Here is the last message I got (same as user J J posted about a couple of days ago at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=24818.msg203504#msg203504):

___

C:\WINDOWS\RESTORE.INS\C:\OEMCUST\TOOLS\WIN32\PSKILL.EXE [L] Win32:Pskill-E [Tool] (0)
During the file delete, error occurred: There are no more files
C:\WINDOWS\system\RESTORE.INS\C:\OEMCUST\TOOLS\WIN32\PSKILL.EXE [L] Win32:Pskill-E [Tool] (0)

___

Thanks very much!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 02:43:57 PM by chameleon »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Put PSKILL.EXE in Ignore file?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 10:01:14 AM »
Well if you really want to ignore it, try

left click the "a" icon, select standard shield, click costumize, advanced tab. You can add the file.

Offline chameleon

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 10:10:02 AM »
Thanks.

How should I add it? Should I paste in the path I mentioned above? Or just type in PSKILL.EXE ?

(Pardon my lack of knowledge in these matters.)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
I'm not sure if you need the entire path, the file name may be enough. If not use the entire path.  Hope it works. :) Please post back if it does or does not.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 01:19:31 PM »
C:\WINDOWS\RESTORE.INS\C:\OEMCUST\TOOLS\WIN32\PSKILL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system\RESTORE.INS\C:\OEMCUST\TOOLS\WIN32\PSKILL.EXE

Insert the full path into exclusions

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 02:22:19 PM »
The problem is what file/s to exclude, C:\WINDOWS\system\RESTORE.INS and C:\WINDOWS\RESTORE.INS are the ones to exclude as they are the files that contain pskill.exe, restore.ins being in effect an archive file.

The wildcard * will help so you don't have to type the full path, C:\*\RESTORE.INS should work for both locations.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chameleon

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
Thanks very much oldman, essexboy, and DavidR.

I pasted the:

C:\WINDOWS\RESTORE.INS\C:\OEMCUST\TOOLS\WIN32\PSKILL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system\RESTORE.INS\C:\OEMCUST\TOOLS\WIN32\PSKILL.EXE

into Exclusions, however avast! only skipped the first one.

So, next I will try DavidR's suggestion of adding:

C:\*\RESTORE.INS

and see if that works.

(I wonder if doing so will cause me to unecessarily skip other files? I'll take a look at the report when I'm done.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 02:19:34 PM »
I'm surprised avast skipped as I would have thought the path in explorer would end after restore.ins although it is possible to name a folder with a period in the folder name.

If the C:\*\RESTORE.INS doesn't work try C:\*\RESTORE.INS\*

I'm also concerned about the Topic title as anyone searching about detections of pskill.exe may find this and only think they should simply exclude it without doing any investigation. pskill.exe in another location could be an entirely different ball game.

(I wonder if doing so will cause me to unecessarily skip other files? I'll take a look at the report when I'm done.)
Personally I don't think you should worry about not scanning this file/folder as you have seen it is somehow protected and may also be write protected so probably of limited risk.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chameleon

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 02:41:17 PM »
I'm also concerned about the Topic title as anyone searching about detections of pskill.exe may find this and only think they should simply exclude it without doing any investigation. pskill.exe in another location could be an entirely different ball game.

That's a good point. I'll change the topic title. I only choose to exclude it because other scans say the system is clean.

I'll write again when I see how the next avast! scan goes.

Thanks.  :)

Offline chameleon

Re: Directions for excluding/ignoring item?
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »
ok.. so I added both:
C:\*\RESTORE.INS
C:\*\RESTORE.INS\*

to the Exclusions folder.

But tonight I did a Thorough scan, the alarm bells went off once again for PSKILL.EXE and the report said this:

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{1E99F574-4FED-4B1A-B925-343BD1F85271}\RP12\A0006342.INS\C:\OEMCUST\TOOLS\WIN32\PSKILL.EXE [L] Win32:Pskill-E [Tool] (0)

Should I add this as well?:

C:\OEMCUST\TOOLS\WIN32\PSKILL.EXE [L] Win32:Pskill-E [Tool] (0)

It seems like the more I exclude the more avast! finds a way to find it.  :o

:'(
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 10:46:31 AM by chameleon »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 01:07:58 PM »
At some point when you moved, deleted or whatever action you took to deal with the pskill.exe file which is in a sub folder of windows, system restore created a restore point back-up and that is what avast is detecting.

The c:\System Volume Information folder is a part of the system restore function and as such is protected by windows, the only way to clean infected _restore points is to disable system restore and reboot. This will clear ALL _restore points. Once you have disabled system restore, reboot, scan your PC again and if clear enable system restore.
Win XP-ME - How to disable System Restore

Your exclusions have not effected avasts detection, your original actions in dealing with a suspect file in a system restore protected folder has created a copy somewhere else and it is that which is being detected and that would still happen even if you hadn't created the exclusions.

Offline chameleon

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 02:40:05 PM »
ok, so this time, I turned off system restore, restarted immediately, did a Thorough scan--no alarm bells. yay!  :)

I turned system restore back on. I did another Thorough scan, and once again:

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{1E99F574-4FED-4B1A-B925-343BD1F85271}\RP2\A0000114.INS\C:\OEMCUST\TOOLS\WIN32\PSKILL.EXE [L] Win32:Pskill-E [Tool] (0) During the file delete, error occurred: There are no more files   :o

Bah!

Thank you everyone for your advice. I guess I'll  have to live with it.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:43:19 PM by chameleon »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 10:02:03 PM »
Chameleon, disable system restore, schedule a boot time scanning with avast, boot, enable system restore later...
Will it clean?
The best things in life are free.

Offline chameleon

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 04:29:08 AM »
Thanks Tech.   I tried that today (turned off system restore, did boot time scan)..

Still finds PSKILL.EXE and when I instruct to send to chest or delete it still says there are no more files.  :(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 10:28:16 AM »
There might be a little confusion here... oldman's post suggested putting the path into the list of Standard Shield exclusions.
While this is a reasonable suggestion, it affects Standard Shield (i.e. the resident protection) only - not on-demand scans from Simple or Enhanced User Interface. To exclude the file from such scanning, you must put the path into the other exclusion list (in Program Settings / Exclusions).

Also I'd like to ask: what is this RESTORE.INS file? Where does it come from (i.e. what application does it belong to)? Or is it a folder actually?
(sorry for my ignorance if it's something obvious)