Author Topic: AVGas still being detected into Windows Security Center  (Read 8714 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
AVGas still being detected into Windows Security Center
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:28:53 PM »
Just to let you know that deleting the legacy drivers (leftovers of the uninstallation) of AVGas and AVG antirootkit makes Windows Security Center stop recognizing it as being installed and disabled.
I post this because a lot of people have gave up on ewido/AVGas since it won't be supported as a standalone application in next Grisoft version. Bye bye Grisoft  :P

Restarting the Windows Security Center repository did the trick.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
The best things in life are free.

gdiloren

Re: AVGas still being detected into Windows Security Center
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »
Well I can't get rid of them (AVG products) in my Security Center. I deleted all the leftover (guess I missed one) and tried your trick without success. Can you exactly tell me what are those left overs? ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Can you exactly tell me what are those left overs? ???
I've deleted the keys into the registry and does not write them down. Sorry.
They were here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ ...
Take care about what you're deleting from registry!
In the subkeys will be clearly identified that the drivers are from AVGas or AVG antirootkit.
You need the have permissions (access) to the key. Start deleting the subkeys, one by one and you'll be able to delete the major key.
Take care handling the registry, as usual.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:45:25 PM »
Some 'years' ago I've read this on avast forums:

The legacy entries are created by the operating system itself - and when the operating systems "decides" that they should disappear, they will (which is not necessarily at the moment you uninstall avast!). So, these entries were not directly created by avast!, and they are not supposed to be removed by the user.

But the legacy drivers aren't disappearing for years on my computer... for instance, X-Drive and AVG... I hope Igor could help us with these things...

Dieselman

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »
This happens with alot of products. You need to rebuilt the repository folder. Simply go to run and type "services.msc". Then migrate to the WMI service (Windows Management Instrumentation ) and stop the service. Then go to C\Windows\System32\Wbem and delete the repository folder and reboot.

gdiloren

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:04:04 PM »
Can you exactly tell me what are those left overs? ???
I've deleted the keys into the registry and does not write them down. Sorry.
They were here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ ...
Take care about what you're deleting from registry!
In the subkeys will be clearly identified that the drivers are from AVGas or AVG antirootkit.
You need the have permissions (access) to the key. Start deleting the subkeys, one by one and you'll be able to delete the major key.
Take care handling the registry, as usual.

I'm on Vista with Administrator privileges. I just can't delete the AVG products legacy!!! The WMI isn't there in my Vista (I have it in French, but it's the same). So deleting the rpository folder and rebbooting yields the same for me. :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 12:56:57 AM »
This happens with alot of products. You need to rebuilt the repository folder. Simply go to run and type "services.msc". Then migrate to the WMI service (Windows Management Instrumentation ) and stop the service. Then go to C\Windows\System32\Wbem and delete the repository folder and reboot.
This does not work if there are legacy drivers left behind...

I'm on Vista with Administrator privileges. I just can't delete the AVG products legacy!!!
This is normal. I'll help you later... I know how to delete such keys... just don't have time to explain now...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 02:19:05 AM »
http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/04/windows_vista_is_lying_to_me_1.html#c447662

Just remove ALL security programs that are integrated into Security Center, follow proceedure from above link and re-install avast! back.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 04:09:08 AM »
http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/04/windows_vista_is_lying_to_me_1.html#c447662

Just remove ALL security programs that are integrated into Security Center, follow proceedure from above link and re-install avast! back.
RejZor, it does not work against legacy drivers... we test it.
gdiloren, as usual take care on handling the registry. Backup it with ERUNT.

Registrar Registry Manager could do the job (I suppose it works with regedit.exe also).
http://www.resplendence.com/registrar.htm (the free version does the job).
Delete key by key, then the subfolder (0000) then the legacy folder itself.

Follow the procedures to renew the Windows Security Manager repository.
Boot.

Hope it helps.

gdiloren

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 05:11:14 PM »
Thanks Tech. I've downloaded the free Registar software but the legacy keys wouldn't go away the same. I think I'm going to leave with AVG keys left-overs in my regystry like that. It does not matter. Thanks anyway for trying to help, I appreciate!! ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 05:38:29 PM »
Thanks Tech. I've downloaded the free Registar software but the legacy keys wouldn't go away the same. I think I'm going to leave with AVG keys left-overs in my regystry like that. It does not matter. Thanks anyway for trying to help, I appreciate!! ;)
Take ownership (or change security) of the key.
If it does not help, I can send by email to you the 'old' version of the Registrar Lite. It works, for sure.

gdiloren

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 06:58:33 PM »
Take ownership (or change security) of the key.
If it does not help, I can send by email to you the 'old' version of the Registrar Lite. It works, for sure.
In fact, in the Light Edition, the "Take Ownership" feature isn't available. I don't know, I will stay with the leftovers after all! Thanks. ::)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:16:17 PM by gdiloren »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »
I don't think it is called take ownership but is under the Permissions (I assume that is in the lite edition), it is here that you add/modify your user/group to allow deletion, etc. Right click the key select Permissions and you are at the image I posted.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 09:46:43 PM »
gdiloren, follow David's advices or send me your email by IM and I'll send the old free Registrar Lite to you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 11:19:51 PM »
You don't need any additional programs, what you see in my image is directly in windows. Windows Start, Run and type regedit and navigate to the particular Key, right click and select permissions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security