Author Topic: Avast won't exclude C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher  (Read 12754 times)

Moonbarker

Avast won't exclude C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher
« on: July 12, 2008, 03:16:13 PM »
I have C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher in my exclusions list, but Avast still won't ignore it, it still keep warning me every that C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher\Admunch.exe contains a trojan even though I keep telling it to take no action.  How do I make Avast leave that folder alone?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast won't exclude C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:19:12 PM »
C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher\*
Remember that avast has two exclusion lists: one for resident and one for on-demand scanning.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 03:54:10 PM »
It would be better not to just treat the symptom (the alert) but the cause, either an actually infected file or have the false detection resolved.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below. I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently over 30 different scanners.

If it is indeed a false positive, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34950.msg293451#msg293451, how to report it to avast! and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Moonbarker

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 07:42:46 PM »
C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher\*
Remember that avast has two exclusion lists: one for resident and one for on-demand scanning.

When I go to program settings/exclusions, which of those two lists is that and how do I acces the other one?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 07:54:42 PM »
When I go to program settings/exclusions, which of those two lists is that and how do I acces the other one?
For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

Moonbarker

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 08:15:42 PM »
It would be better not to just treat the symptom (the alert) but the cause, either an actually infected file or have the false detection resolved.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below. I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently over 30 different scanners.

If it is indeed a false positive, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34950.msg293451#msg293451, how to report it to avast! and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.

Thanx, but you lost me at "Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield..."  Where do I find "standard shield"?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 08:37:09 PM »
Where do I find "standard shield"?
Read my post #4...

Moonbarker

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:38:47 PM »
For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

Got it, thanx!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 09:40:36 PM »
Forgot to say... click in the 'Details' button (if necessary).