Author Topic: Adding a port number to allow a programme to run???  (Read 14258 times)

MBG

Adding a port number to allow a programme to run???
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »
HI There!
please help! i need to add a port number to allow a specific program to run. i know the port number. but do not know how or where to add it. ??? ??? ???
I need to do this, cos i cannot sign in, and it must be cos Avast! is blocking it.
i have tried to turn off "on-access protection" but have had no luck.

please can some-one help me  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Adding a port number to allow a programme to run???
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 02:34:26 PM »
avast isn't a firewall and as such doesn't block ports, so there is no way to assign or unblock a port. avast scans and alerts to infection but doesn't block.

As you have found with disabling the on-access protection and nothing changes, it is more likely to be your firewall (which is) ?

Sign into what ?
What is the specific program, which you don't specifically mention ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MBG

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 02:38:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply!
i'm trying to log into iMesh.
my windows firewall was disabled when i installed Avast!. clearly i should re-enable it ASAP.
not sure what the problem is that i cant log in. :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 03:04:26 PM »
The reason I asked for the site was I would try to visit it and I don't know if it is imesh.com or .net or .org, etc. but I can display imesh.com but there is no sign in on that page.

Please explain what your sign in consists of ?

Yes you should enable your firewall, the windows firewall is better than none.

Is there a forum for the site that allows you to check out the FAQs, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MBG

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »
The site is www.imesh.com. you have to download and install the program, and sign in with a username and password.
i have accessed their help page with regards to not being able to sign in. it says that either my internet connection is not working (which it is as i am chatting to u) or my firewall, and it then proceeds to tell me what ports i must allow (hence the reason for my original question). that is why i assumed the problem was because of Avast!. I have activated the windows firewall.
if the problem signing in is not because of Avast, i will contact them.

this is copied from the "help page"
* You have lost your connection with your Internet Service Provider.
* The connection between your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and our servers was lost.

Here's a short list of things that can help you work through this:

*If you are behind a corporate firewall, check with your System Administrator that the ports used by iMesh for communication are not blocked for outgoing connection. The port numbers are the following: Port 1863, port 80 and port 443.
*If you are using a local firewall software (such as the built in firewall in Windows XP, Norton Firewall, etc) make sure that the port is not blocked.
*If you are using Windows XP you can temporarily disable the built in firewall.
To do that - go to your 'Start' menu -> 'Settings' -> 'Network connections'. Then, choose the connection you're using, right click on it and choose 'Properties'. In the dialog window that opened go to 'Advanced' tab and uncheck 'Internet Connection Firewall' checkbox.
*If you are using Windows XP SP2 verify that iMesh is not blocked. To do that - go to 'Start' --> 'Settings' --> 'Windows Firewall' -->and select 'Exceptions'. Make sure that iMesh is in the Exceptions list and add it if its not.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 03:23:21 PM »
There are Port exceptions (as in the last point of the help page you posted) you can put in the windows firewall I don't know if that will help or not.

Other than this I'm at a loss as to what else can be done.