Author Topic: Settings for a Newbie  (Read 2588 times)

dobedill

Settings for a Newbie
« on: December 16, 2008, 01:23:40 PM »

Hi all

I am about to register, download and install Avast 4.8 free home edition. I have read and seen about the different scanners that come with it. Standard, Web Shield, Network, P2P, Instant Messaging and Outlook..

I was wondering, as all i do is play football manager, listen to music and use web based email and i sit behind a wireless router, is do i need all these running? Or which can i do without.

Thank you

P.s. Im new and this is my first post, so hi all !!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Settings for a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
I would say you don't need P2P, Instant Messaging and Outlook/Exchange, The others Yes.

The use of web mail doesn't stop an undetected/hidden spambot on your system sending out spam as they have their own SMTP engine. So the Internet Mail provider set to High sensitivity covers that possibility.

Providers that aren't in use aren't consuming huge quantities of resources, avast is relatively light on resources.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security