Author Topic: recommendations on free firewall?  (Read 35382 times)

DarkLegend

recommendations on free firewall?
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:30:36 AM »
I've searched online for my answers (As I really don't care for what matousec has to say) about what free firewall I should use.In my search I found nothing that answers this, only a person(s) opinion on one based on little or no facts, or a result that was from 5 years ago >:(.

So I would like to ask you what your opinion is,hopefully with some facts or at the least something convincing! What offers the most protection and security against losing information across the web (or in certain programs where you type in passwords and what not)

I have looked at the following:

PC Tools (I have mixed feelings as I have seen reports of it being fooled easily... like renaming a file to look legit and it buys it)

Online Armor

Outpost Free

Comodo Firewall (I don't like wolves in sheep's clothing...)

Anyway, Any insight on this would be helpful. Please consider what will be trustworthy and maintained in the long run, not just a firewall that is great now but will be dropped in a few months (you get the idea).

Thanks!

YoKenny

Re: recommendations on free firewall?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:42:53 AM »
Recommended by Calendar of Updates:
Outpost Anti-Spyware Database: 125040 signatures
http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar&code=showevent&event_id=61062

Outpost Firewall Free:
http://free.agnitum.com

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:22:58 AM »
DarkLegend,

Before we can make a recommendation we have to know what operating system you're using.

XP?

Vista?  32bit or 64bit?

Windows 7?  32bit or 64bit?

In my sig. you can see I use Online Armor on XP & Windows 7 Firewall Control On Vista 64bit.

DarkLegend

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:37:25 AM »
Vista 32 bit SP2

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:45:15 AM »
Windows 7 Firewall Control:
http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista

A firewall is only one piece of Layered Protection

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) is good to have as well:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

WinPatrol is good to have as a Security Monitor:
http://www.winpatrol.com
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:50:27 AM by YoKenny »

DarkLegend

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:15:29 AM »
windows 7 firewall control and winpatrol look pretty suspicious to me...

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:32:40 AM »
Suspicious in what way?

Do you think I would recommend something suspicious?

DarkLegend

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 03:40:13 AM »
it has nothing to do with you ;0. In part of my staying "internet smart"  I am weary of programs that are supposedly safe security software is all. The company and the look of the interface (as well as their website) aroused my suspicions is all. I mean c'mon.. comodo isn't considered "malware" either  ;).

Anyway, So this vista firewall control (which is the same as windows 7 firewall control im assuming... even though I found one on pcworld but the name of the file was vistafirewall control and the one on the link you gave me is windows7firewall control.. confusing...) Is basically like the other software firewalls?just doesn't have extra  features, Like being able to protect key files on your system ( that's one thing I liked about comodo actually  >:( ) ?

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 04:23:51 AM »
Comodo isn't considered malware?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46737.0

I just tried Windows 7 Firewall Control to see if it has changed from before I used it when I had Vista and it is so annoying and that I removed it as it has to be told everything about what can go out or can be permitted to come in and has no Auto-learning mode.   

Outpost is still my choice but Online Armor is good as well.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:57:19 AM »
Sphinx software (Windows firewall control) and (especially) Winpatrol by BillP are not even remotely dodgy.
Reputable.
Useful, and often recommended.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

EntitY

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 03:35:28 AM »
I have read every review on the web and have used every major free firewall.  Using XP sp3, I can only recommend Outpost Firewall Free. Outpost paid is better, but like myself, you want a free quality firewall...

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 03:55:14 AM »
I have read every review on the web and have used every major free firewall.  Using XP sp3, I can only recommend Outpost Firewall Free. Outpost paid is better, but like myself, you want a free quality firewall...

I have read every review on the web and have used every major free firewall.  Using XP sp3, I can only recommend Online Armor Firewall Free.  Online Armor Premium is better, but like myself, you want a free quality firewall...

One thing that kills Outpost Free/Paid for me is it drastically slows down my internet speed.  Not everyone has this problem with Outpost.

I have read in Outpost forums that many do have drastically reduced internet speed with Outpost Free/Paid.

Additionally, Stem, the firewall guru in Wilders says Outpost Free has weak inbound protection.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 04:29:02 AM »
@rdmaloyjr

The modem that my ISP provides me has a good inbound firewall so that would not be a problem for Outpost.

I choose not to have a software firewall as I am very diligent about what runs on my system with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro (MBAM) and the ever present guard dog Scotty in WinPatrol alerting me to any application that it trying to modify key system areas.
I research each application I use quite thoroughly using Google and forum reviews.
I keep the operating system up to date.

Watch the excellent video interview with Bruce Harrison who is a developer at Malwarebytes – the company who created Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware:
http://www.besttechie.net/2008/08/20/malwarebytes-developer-interview <== software firewalls discussion begins about 8 minutes into the video

Both videos are well worth watching.

That's the way I see software firewalls at the moment and have not had a system infection since I started using this combination since 2005 when MBAM first came out.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 04:53:11 AM »
YoKenny'

At home I am behind a router firewall, so Outpost Free's weak inbound filtering isn't a problem for my desktop, but on my laptop away from home...

The big problem with Outpost Free & Pro is the drastic slowdown of my internet.  I'm paying $43.95 a month for fast cable internet.  I want to get what I pay for.

If you're paying for 10mbps, will you be happy with only 3mbps? ::)