Author Topic: Web shield blocking all browsing  (Read 4551 times)

brstma

Web shield blocking all browsing
« on: March 22, 2010, 11:16:13 AM »
I've been using Avast for a couple years with no problems but yesterday the Web Shield started blocking everything.  No settings have changed, it's all on default. I tried an update and it worked until the next time I booted, now it does not work again.  The only way I can browse online is to turn off the Web Shield.  Is there a fix for this?

Wex

Re: Web shield blocking all browsing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
I've been using Avast for a couple years with no problems but yesterday the Web Shield started blocking everything.  No settings have changed, it's all on default. I tried an update and it worked until the next time I booted, now it does not work again.  The only way I can browse online is to turn off the Web Shield.  Is there a fix for this?

Hello!

With what browser you have these problems? Have u try another browsers?
Have u disabled windows firewall and defender?
Have u recently installed programs that are running when avast is running too?

U should try uninstall all security softwares from your computer include avast, reboot and try install avast again.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

brstma

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:56:16 PM »
Check this: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57408.msg484309#msg484309

All is well here but the problem still exists.

Hello!

With what browser you have these problems? Have u try another browsers?
Have u disabled windows firewall and defender?
Have u recently installed programs that are running when avast is running too?

U should try uninstall all security softwares from your computer include avast, reboot and try install avast again.

It happens with both Firefox and IE. I have the free version of Avast (no firewall) and disabling the XP firewall does not fix the problem.

Saturday I did update my graphics drivers (ATI)  Sunday morning I started having problems with the Web Shield. I updated Avast using the applet and it updated to 4.8.13.68. That fixed the problem for the rest of the day Sunday, but when I turned on the PC today the problem was back.

I guess I'll have to try a clean install, and I'll try the old graphics drivers too.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 06:32:32 AM »
Why don't you update to avast5 free?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

brstma

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:44:10 AM »
Why don't you update to avast5 free?

I will, but I didn't know it was out until I came to the forum. So far, I completely uninstalled v4.8, reinstalled it and no luck. The Web shield still "shields" me from using the web.  It's extremely annoying since everything worked fine for 2 years until 2 days ago  :-\  I'm still going to try the graphics drivers as well, but I'll have to wait until after work.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:59:58 AM »
I will, but I didn't know it was out until I came to the forum. So far, I completely uninstalled v4.8, reinstalled it and no luck. The Web shield still "shields" me from using the web.  It's extremely annoying since everything worked fine for 2 years until 2 days ago  :-\  I'm still going to try the graphics drivers as well, but I'll have to wait until after work.

at least u can track back ur prob 2 the driver update...
u can either make a rollback of the driver, if u want 2 stay with v4.8
or install v5 and see if it works with the new driver...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

brstma

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
I guess it was the driver update that did it because reinstalling the old version seems to have fixed the problem so far.

The ATI driver version that caused trouble is 10.2 (the newest at this time)  9.2 is working fine (with Avast 4.8)