Author Topic: My E-MU PatchMix DSP (0404 soundcard) won't start up anymore.  (Read 9780 times)

guitarguru

My E-MU PatchMix DSP (0404 soundcard) won't start up anymore.
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:43:21 AM »
It always loaded up on start up, but not anymore since a couple of days. I have to put all the shields down (for 10 minutes), than I can start up my soundcard program. Is there an easier way to get rid of this problem   ???

I have version 5.1.864 installed.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: My E-MU PatchMix DSP (0404 soundcard) won't start up anymore.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »
Reinstall the soundcard drivers and the application.
Make sure you have the latest version(s) from the manufacturers website.
Lte's see if that solves the problem.

guitarguru

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »
I already did that yesterday. Same problem occurs. Thanks Eddy for your input.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
Disable the shields one at a time and try to start the application after shutting down one. It will help the people from Alwil to narrow down where to look. I have a feeling it is the on-access scanner. But let's find out. If it is him, you can add the application in the exclusion list as a workaround to the problem.

guitarguru

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
Okay, thanks again Eddy!! I found it. ;) I have the Dutch version, so don't exactly know how this shield is called at your version. In dutch it's called the "Gedrags Schild". In English it would be called the Behavior Shield I think. Is it wise to keep this shield down completely and always?

guitarguru

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:36:15 PM »
I put the drivers and application exe-files in the "trusted processes", but that won't work. I have to disable the whole Behavior Shield, than it's okay......... :-\

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:39:04 AM »
Vreemd. Toevoegen aan de vertrouwde processen zou moeten werken.
Er is wel onlangs een nieuwe versie van avast vrijgegeven.
Heb je die al? Zo niet update dan avast en misschien is het probleem daarin wel verholpen.

magiclantern

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
I am having the same problem and disabling the behavior shield is the only way to start PatchMix DSP although the shield can be restarted after starting PatchMix DSP without problems. It is still a right pain though and putting the app in trusted makes no difference whatsoever.

Seems like the upgrade to 5.1 was a bad move as there were no problems beforehand. Looks like Avast will have to get their devs to take a look at this.

bogdanc

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 05:29:36 PM »
Same issue here.
Avast 5 was freezing patchmix DSP at startup (it would only load after a couple of minutes), but version 6's behavior shield completely blocks the application AND the drivers. And it shows constant activity on the monitor.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 06:45:46 PM »
With saying version 5(.1) we can't help you. We need to know at least the exact version of the software, vps and OS. Including sp's, other security (related) software installed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »
Same issue here.
Avast 5 was freezing patchmix DSP at startup (it would only load after a couple of minutes), but version 6's behavior shield completely blocks the application AND the drivers. And it shows constant activity on the monitor.

Check the C:\ProgramData\Alwil(Avast) Software\Avast(5)\report\behaviorshield.txt file using notepad and check for any entries relating to the effected software. If there is try adding (copy and paste) the full path into the BehS, Expert Settings, Trusted processes and see if that helps, you may need to reboot.
Note - The text in the path within the brackets above may or may not be the option as both locations are valid depending on how you installed/updated to avast 6.0.

Something else you can try if the above doesn't work:
New Behaviour Shield, Expert settings option  - 'monitor the system for unauthorised modifications' - this appears to be causing some applications not to start, presumably they modify the system in some way when they start.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bogdanc

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 08:31:43 PM »
No entries regarding the software in the .txt file.
I've added two files to trusted processes:

C:\Program Files\Creative Professional\E-MU PatchMix DSP\EmuPMixDSP.exe (which is the PatchMix DSP software)
C:\Windows\System32\CTHELPER.EXE (which is the actual driver)

I saw that after booting and loading Avast, the behavior shield is scanning files. This takes a couple of minutes and when finished the driver and PatchMix load successfully.

Oh and I was mentioning Avast 5 because the problem was present in that version too. I'm now using version 6.0.1000