Author Topic: (Code Emulation) slows down the opening of programs!!  (Read 18629 times)

gate1975mlm

(Code Emulation) slows down the opening of programs!!
« on: April 17, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »
Hello,

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why some of my programs are taking an extra long time to open. Like for example "XMPlay" media player.

Well as it turns out it was "Code Emulation" under File system shield settings, Sensitivity, Heuristics Sensitivity (Normal).

After I remove the check mark from "Code Emulation" all my progrmas now open up almost instant.

So what is "Code Emulation" for? And why does it slow down the opening of programs so much?

And is it safe to disable it?

Or can you fix it so it does not slow down the opening of programs so much?

When "Code Emulation" is running it causes XMPlay to take about 7 seconds to open. With  "Code Emulation" disabled XMplay open in less then a second! Almost instantly.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:09:53 PM by gate1975mlm »

spg SCOTT

Re: (Code Emulation) slows down the opening of programs!!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 03:11:35 PM »
Quote from: avast! Help Files
If the box "use code emulation" is checked and avast! detects some suspicious code in a file, it will attempt to run the code in a virtual environment to determine how it behaves. If potential malicious behavior is detected, it will be reported as a virus. Running the code in this virtual environment means that if the code is malicious it will not be able to cause damage to your computer.

So avast is checking that the file that you are executing is safe, which will mean that it takes a little longer to start.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
code emulation comes into action when suspicious software/files is detected... otherwise it never interferes... at least I never saw that happen so far. Not sure what sort of stuff you run on your system.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »
code emulation comes into action when suspicious software/files is detected... otherwise it never interferes... at least I never saw that happen so far. Not sure what sort of stuff you run on your system.

XMPlay really is the only program I think opening very slowly when "code emulation" is enabled.

XMPlay is very safe to use!
http://support.xmplay.com/index.php

How can I fix this without disabling "code emulation"?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »
No way, unless you want to exclude the program from scanning completely.

I'd bet that the program is packed by some runtime packer - which is what is being emulated.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »

I'd bet that the program is packed by some runtime packer - which is what is being emulated.

How do I exclude it?

gate1975mlm

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »

How do I exclude it?

Never mind I figured it out :).

There is a Exclusions tab :) and I added the XMPlay folder.

Opens fast now even with "Code Emulation" running.

Maybe I will contact XMplay and see what they say.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
After more testing I have come to the conclusion that "Code Emulation" is a system hog!!

Its slowing down way to many prgrams on my computer :(

Beside slowing down XMplay it also caues iTunes scroll bar in the iTunes store to be very sluggish. It also is causing xrecode II to open very slow!

Will my computer still be safe if I turn off "Code Emulation"?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:48:17 PM »
Well, system hog. The code emulator kicks in whenever it sees a suspicious file. And yes, it usually takes a few seconds to emulate the file.

On the other hand, unless you're actually executing the file, the File System Shield's transient cache should be effective and should prevent the same file from being rescanned multiple times...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »
Well, system hog. The code emulator kicks in whenever it sees a suspicious file. And yes, it usually takes a few seconds to emulate the file.

On the other hand, unless you're actually executing the file, the File System Shield's transient cache should be effective and should prevent the same file from being rescanned multiple times...

Thanks
Vlk

Hi Vlk :),

But it happens everytime I run these programs and "transient cache" seems to have no affect at all.At least with the 3 programs I am talking about here.

Everytime I open XMPlay or open iTunes Store and use scrollbar or add a music file to xrecode II. All slow way down when(Code Emulation)is on.

Its just a shame that this happens because I know these programs are very clean and it feels like I am running a very old computer becasue of(Code Emulation).

I was always a big fan of Avast but I have to admit this is getting very frustrating.

I am sure some other programs also open more slowly because of(Code Emulation) but the 3 above are the most obvious ones the come to mind.

Can you some how optimize(Code Emulation) to allow programs to open faster?

Am I asking for big trouble if I disable(Code Emulation)?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:10:12 PM by gate1975mlm »

mkk

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »
I'm just chiming in to confirm that Code Emulation currently ignores previous scan results with either Transient and/or Persistent caching turned on. So those two caching methods do not effect any executables, corrent? Program documentation gives no clue about that.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 05:15:59 PM »
I'm just chiming in to confirm that Code Emulation currently ignores previous scan results with either Transient and/or Persistent caching turned on. So those two caching methods do not effect any executables, corrent? Program documentation gives no clue about that.

This is really my whole issue with "Code Emulation".

All my programs are being scanned every single time I open them :(

I don't mind if they are scanned the first time I run them but since progrmas I use are clean they should not have to get scanned everytime I run them.

I hope this can and will be fixed :)

Other then this issue I LOVE Avast 6!!!

gate1975mlm

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »

Will this be fixed?

gentle4ug

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »
I'm currently experiencing the same frustrations with programs like OpenOffice,nero,nitro pdf, and IE9.  It has gotten so frustrating that my entire program files folder has been added to file shield exclusions.  Both cashes are enabled.  Watching the little orange ball spin isn't very entertaining.

I'll try a nice neat and tidy re-install tonight using all default settings and see if it gets any better.

In the mean time, could someone please give a simple one word answer to each of the following questions:

1. What is the default setting for the file emulation in the file shield? checked/unchecked
2. If file emulation is checked, should the cashes prevent repeat scanning of unchanged program files upon running?  Yes/no.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 11:08:27 PM »
It has gotten so frustrating that my entire program files folder has been added to file shield exclusions.
Not good movement for sure... you're decreasing protection quite a lot.
The best things in life are free.