Author Topic: Avast AIS and the New Spybot Beta 2.0.3  (Read 8622 times)

Nesivos

Avast AIS and the New Spybot Beta 2.0.3
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »
Yesterday I downloaded and installed the new Spybot Beta 2.0.3

So far it appears to be compatible with Avast AIS.  

Not much of a notable drain on system resources except when using the on-demand scan which can be scheduled to run through the Sypbot GUI using Windows Task Scheduler.

On my Dell Desktop with 4GB DDR3 RAM and a Athlon 240 processor a complete scan took under 18 minutes and it found a butch of items to quarantine that Avast, Malwarebytes, SAS and WD missed.  Avast will not be able to scan the Spybot Quarantine folder so it needs to be excluded from Avast scans.   Avast Memory Scan does not identify Spybot signatures as a virus.

I know there are not many Spybot fans here but I just wanted to give a heads up that the new Beta appears to be compatible with Avast, is much improved in speed and appears to be improved in identifying threats as evidenced by what it found that the others missed.  Yes I know they could be FPs. :)  The new real time monitor appears not to negatively impact my systems performance.  One final note.  The Beta release does appear to have some bugs so use at your own risk.  However none of those have caused any system problems so far. :)

Forgot:

The Malware definitions now automatically updated.
Also, the Immunization process now removes old and outdated items from the Protection list keeping the database size down a bit.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:56:09 PM by Nesivos »

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast AIS and the New Spybot Beta 2.0.3
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:37:45 PM »
spybot can not keep up with the malware so i would suggest you use malwarebytes antimalware and/or superantispyware instead of spybot.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:17:11 PM »
spybot can not keep up with the malware so i would suggest you use malwarebytes antimalware and/or superantispyware instead of spybot.

+1
Forget SB.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »

In all honesty, nothing can keep up 100% with malware.  They all miss.

The new SpyBot S&D Beta 2.0.3 by default has 5 processes running resident.  Not all features have yet been implemented, but when they are, I think several will have to be disabled(like I do TeaTimer in the old SpyBot S&D).  Sadly, the new version seems to be headed toward a bloated suite which uses 15-25% of the CPU cycles doing nothing.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:57:11 PM »

+1
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:02:15 AM »

Maybe you should read peoples signatures before you comment.  I already use SAS real-time and yes I use Malwarebytes on-demand.  To tell you the truth Malwarebytes has yet to find one piece of Malware on my computer, even though I have run it at least once a week and have for years.

I am not asking for advice on this.

This was an informational post for opened minded users of Avast products.

I know people here hate Spybot and ASC.

Well they work great for me so they must be doing something right. ;D

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:23:03 AM »
Although I am no fan of so called YouTube reviews, I watched Languy 99's video of the new Spybot 2 Beta. But from that video I get the impression it is more an Alpha -  than a Beta release :-\

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 06:59:02 AM »
For what it's worth. I compared CPU usage between SAS and SpyBot S&D (on demand only). They both used the same amount of CPU while scanning. SAS used a lot more with "scan boost" activated. I was comparing the "new" SAS vs. the current SpyBot. Since I have been using avast neither has found any spyware, I didn't expect they would. Like I said...for what it's worth. I realize there are both lovers and haters of SpyBot on this forum. I have this strange feeling there are many who use SpyBot and don't show it in their signatures. I did this only to show CPU usage and not effectiveness. To each his own.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

DBone

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »
SpyBot still exists??  ;D

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 08:26:55 AM »

Maybe you should read peoples signatures before you comment.  I already use SAS real-time and yes I use Malwarebytes on-demand.  To tell you the truth Malwarebytes has yet to find one piece of Malware on my computer, even though I have run it at least once a week and have for years.

I am not asking for advice on this.

I know people here hate Spybot and ASC.

Well they work great for me so they must be doing something right. ;D

yhea i missed your signuture there but that was not my point with my post. my point was malwarebytes/superantispyware does a better job then spybot when dealling with malware.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 09:32:22 AM »
Malwarebytes doesn't find anything because avast is doing it's job, and i would put money on it that anything spybot has detected on your system is definately a false positive.
If you already know that people here dont like spybot and ASC(iobit) products why have you bothered to post?

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 11:30:04 AM »
He knows who we are.  Thank you Nesivos.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »
For what it's worth. I compared CPU usage between SAS and SpyBot S&D (on demand only). They both used the same amount of CPU while scanning. SAS used a lot more with "scan boost" activated. I was comparing the "new" SAS vs. the current SpyBot. Since I have been using avast neither has found any spyware, I didn't expect they would. Like I said...for what it's worth. I realize there are both lovers and haters of SpyBot on this forum. I have this strange feeling there are many who use SpyBot and don't show it in their signatures. I did this only to show CPU usage and not effectiveness. To each his own.

That is true for SpyBot S&D 1.6.2, which is the way I'm using it.  However, the Beta 2.0.3 when allowed to run as default does have 5 processes which consume a lot of CPU cycles.

FWIW, SpyBot S&D, MalwareBytes, nor SuperAntiSpyware has ever found anything on this machine.  Does that mean that they are ineffective?  No, that means that Avast ( and practicing SafeHex ) has kept malware from infecting it.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 10:54:40 PM »

That is true for SpyBot S&D 1.6.2, which is the way I'm using it.  However, the Beta 2.0.3 when allowed to run as default does have 5 processes which consume a lot of CPU cycles.

FWIW, SpyBot S&D, MalwareBytes, nor SuperAntiSpyware has ever found anything on this machine.  Does that mean that they are ineffective?  No, that means that Avast ( and practicing SafeHex ) has kept malware from infecting it.
Agreed. +1  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 12:04:18 AM »
The Beta also seems to take about 100MB of RAM for its services. I've set all but Update to Manual and will see how things go.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall