Author Topic: Is this constant annoyance due to 'avast!' or 'Thunderbird'?  (Read 4990 times)

Flyvapnet

I've been using avast! Antivirus 9.0.2018.391 for a short while; and I'm seeing the following dialog box, whenever I access my electronic mail via Mozilla Thunderbird 24.5.0.5227:

"Confirming" and "permanently storing" that security exception doesn't keep the dialog box from reappearing whenever I start Thunderbird.  The "location" is always the same!  Since I've no idea why this is happening nor what its implications may be, I appeal to you for advice!  Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

???

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Is this constant annoyance due to 'avast!' or 'Thunderbird'?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 12:08:46 AM »
Well..... it is not a avast popup

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:10:23 AM »
I think this is a known error with Avast and Thunderbird.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

plsrepli

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:40:03 AM »
To fix that error, you must first delete the current Avast mail root scanner certificate in Thunderbird (if present) and then export the "new" (latest) Avast mail root scanner certificate via certmgr.msc (in Windows) and then import it into Thunderbird. Once done, this will fix your issue. However, since this problem has been discussed so many times before, I would ask you to search this forum for more specific information (if required). FYI, I have to do this every time I do a clean install of a new Avast point issue update because I use the portable versions of Thunderbird. Also, I was under the impression that installed Thunderbird versions do not have to take any actions as described above. Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:40:00 AM by plsrepli »

plsrepli

Flyvapnet

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 09:21:26 PM »
Thank you very much Pondus, Steven Winderlich and plsrepli, for your advice and help!  I've followed your instructions (and those found via the link plsrepli provided) so hopefully this problem is ended.  Should it reoccur, I'll at least know what to do about it!

:)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
just curious about your forum name .... you are located in US but a scandinavian forum name?

Flyvapnet

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 12:23:05 AM »
Here's the story, Pondus; but remember, you asked for it!  For years, my user name on the Web was Mr. Cat (with occasional slight variations).  However, there came a time when others began using this pseudonym as well; and to avoid confusion I decided to adopt a new user name.  What, then, would be a good user name; one which would be unlikely to be copied?

???

As it happened, I'd purchased a military-surplus Norwegian backpack; and on it was stenciled, amongst other things, FLYVÅPNET.  Presto!  My new user name!  But what did it mean?  According to my several on-line Scandinavian acquaintances, it was the name once used for the Norwegian air force; but I've not been able to confirm this.  It sounds good, though!

8)

Thing is, most Web sites requiring registration haven't software capable of accepting "special characters" in user names.  Hence, Flyvåpnet became Flyvapnet.  Ta da!  I hope you're not sorry you asked.

;)

P.S.:  I see you've sent me a private message, but come to find out I'm not allowed to send private messages; which apparently means I can't read them either.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:27:06 AM by Flyvapnet »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 01:18:59 AM »
You are missing a letter.
It should be Flygvapnet and that just Swedish for The Air Force.

Flyvapnet

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 02:37:01 AM »
Thanks, Eddy!  Not to put too fine a point on this, but "Flyvåpnet" registers as Norwegian for "Air Force" on Google Translate.  Exactly as you stated, "Flygvapnet" registers as Swedish for "The Air Force" on Google Translate.  I recall a conversation similar to this, back when I began using Flyvapnet!

:D

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 05:43:44 AM »
You are missing a letter.
It should be Flygvapnet and that just Swedish for The Air Force.
no he is not .... i should know.   ;)

flyvåpenet = air force in Norwegian.   
flygvapenet = air force in Swedish

i was thinking you where Norwegian or something living in US

P.S.:  I see you've sent me a private message, but come to find out I'm not allowed to send private messages; which apparently means I can't read them either.  Sorry. 
you can read, but need 20 posts before you can reply
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 05:48:09 AM by Pondus »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
EDIT: eddy is correct, you are missing a e  flyvåpenet

Flyvapnet

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 09:18:44 PM »
Thanks, Pondus!  However, as I mentioned above....

Not to put too fine a point on this, but "Flyvåpnet" registers as Norwegian for "Air Force" on Google Translate.

Mind, "Flyvåpenet" also registers as Norwegian for "Air Force" on Google Translate.  Since the manufacturer of my old backpack used FLYVÅPNET, I'm using it too (as far as possible given the continued shortcomings of Web-site software).  Also, thanks for pointing out that 20-posts requirement for sending private messages!

:)

Montmorency

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 10:30:06 PM »
I could add to the clarifying

but Scandinavian air flying is much more glamorous 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:53:06 AM by Montmorency »

Flyvapnet

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 12:30:40 AM »
You're right, Montmorency, about the glamor factor!  Well, it's probably futile to anticipate discovering any clarity regarding what's going on with these various utilities.  Each one operates, or so their manufacturers pretend, in a vacuum which magically banishes all anomalies (for which they deny responsibility) to a place far away....

O, what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!

— Walter Scott, Marmion:  A Tale of Flodden Field, Canto VI, st. 17 (Edinburgh:  Archibald Constable & Co., 1808)

Corporations, however, are rarely caught in such webs of their own making.  We just pay our money and watch the show.

::)