Author Topic: Is Avast Automatically downloading ???  (Read 1411 times)

REDACTED

Is Avast Automatically downloading ???
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
You have to forgive my lack of knowledge here.

I am curious does Avast automatically download updates or ANYTHING that would be causing my data usage to get diminished?
I have a 10GB monthly usage on my Verizon wireless jetpack and since I have signed up with Avast that has rapidly been used up when on a normal month I would not even use half of it. 
How can you change settings to prevent this if it is doing it? 

Thank you.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is Avast Automatically downloading ???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:45:40 PM »
There shouldn't be anything that would make any real impact on your 10GB a month bandwidth - for absolutely ages (three years) I too had a 10GB limit and I don't do a hole load of music/video downloads so I never even came close to the 10GB limit (which has now been upgraded free to 40GB).

I would have to ask where you are getting your bandwidth figures from as there can be a huge deal of confusion over what it responsible for downloaded data  ?

As a resident antivirus the web shield will be scanning all downloaded data - this will show up as avastSvc.exe - the main avast service controlling the avast shields and scanning, etc.

But avast for the most part isn't responsible for the initiation of what is being downloaded - that is a browser request for data, be that a web page display of a download, etc. So instead of being assigned to your browser process avast redirects the call through its proxy so it can scan the data before being displayed in your browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security