Author Topic: AvastSvc.exe 8min after Boot  (Read 5900 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: AvastSvc.exe 8min after Boot
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »
I'm afraid we'd need some more info to find out what's going on there.
If possible, please do the following:
1. Wait for the CPU usage to appear and give it some time (say one minute)
2. From an elevated prompt, execute the following command
Code: [Select]
sc.exe control "avast! Antivirus" 2543. It will take a moment - and a dump of the AvastSvc.exe process will be created in C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\log folder; it will be a file called unpXXXXXXX-manual.mdmp (where X are some numbers) and will probably have hundreds of megabytes in size.
4. Compress the dump (7-Zip, ZIP, RAR, ... whatever) and upload it under a unique name to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
5. Post the name of the uploaded file here; I'll check if the code seems to be stuck in some weird place
Thanks.

Offline jmichaelm

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2021, 09:56:20 PM »
upload it under a unique name to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
I think I can handle that but I don't see anyway to upload on that page, there are no buttons?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 12:30:29 AM »
I think I can handle that but I don't see anyway to upload on that page, there are no buttons?
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/FTP-file-upload/

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 12:52:40 AM »
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/FTP-file-upload/
If I remember correctly, Chrome no longer supports ftp
I tried accessing the ftp server in Chrome without success.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
It used to be possible to upload via Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) - opening the address and dropping the file on the buttom/content panel.
If you have a preferred upload service, you can upload the dump there - just note that theoretically, there may be some private data in the dump (say some of the pages being visited), so you may want to password-encrypt the archive and PM me the password (or the link itself).

Offline jmichaelm

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 07:16:04 PM »
As I think about this more I'm beginning to believe that this issue may be related to some file system corruption on my PC.  I've noticed increasing issues with file permissions/writing errors.

But isn't the bigger issue for Avast the inability to defeat this scan?  Obviously once I'm able to get past whatever Avast is trying to do 8 minutes after boot I don't have any problems.  Shouldn't disabling rootkit detection be able to solve this?  Looking at aswAr.log files, I do notice that the difference between the antirootkit scan in passive mode is that it does not scan the processes, just the services.  So it would appear my issue is related to the process scans.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 07:41:44 PM »
As I think about this more I'm beginning to believe that this issue may be related to some file system corruption on my PC.  I've noticed increasing issues with file permissions/writing errors.

1.  But isn't the bigger issue for Avast the inability to defeat this scan? 
Obviously once I'm able to get past whatever Avast is trying to do 8 minutes after boot I don't have any problems. 

Shouldn't disabling rootkit detection be able to solve this?  Looking at aswAr.log files, I do notice that the difference between the antirootkit scan in passive mode is that it does not scan the processes, just the services.  So it would appear my issue is related to the process scans.

1.  What inability to defeat this scan.

EDIT: removed incorrect advice and image.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:29:16 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jmichaelm

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 08:11:35 PM »
There is a rootkit detection enable/disable checkbox under the core shields settings.  This would presumably be able to disable the daily antirootkit scan but in my experience it did not.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 08:39:58 PM »
OK, I got the wrong screen so I have removed that advice from my previous post.

If you have disabled it there it should really stop it, if it isn't stopping it you can report it as a bug.
Right click the avast tray icon and select About Avast, from that screen use the Report Bug button.

I have my anti-rootkit scan enabled and don't often restart my laptop (only when a program/OS requires it), so don't bump into this issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jmichaelm

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 11:28:33 PM »
Reported as bug.  Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2021, 12:08:01 AM »
You're welcome, hopefully the Avast Team can investigate it fully.

Offline jmichaelm

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2021, 09:20:10 PM »
Well it appears I've found 2 workarounds to this:

One is leave the PC in standby, and since waking is not a fresh boot, it does not do the scan.  No problems.

The other is manually run a 'smart scan' right after booting and this seems to run the entire antirootkit scan, including the processes, but for some reason this one does not hang up my CPU.  It only takes seconds to run this scan and close the Avast window then I'm good.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2021, 08:30:28 AM »
To check the issue with the antirootkit scan (which should be rather fast, no matter the other things) we'd need the dump I mentioned before...

Offline jmichaelm

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2022, 04:44:38 PM »
UPDATE: It appears this issue has finally been resolved by one of the last few Avast updates.  No more AvastSvc.exe running continuous processing after boot.  Pretty sure I did nothing that could have resolved it.