Author Topic: PROBLEM Huge CPU and HDD usage avast bug  (Read 1876 times)

Offline PPnx

PROBLEM Huge CPU and HDD usage avast bug
« on: March 07, 2023, 10:00:44 AM »
Hello,
Product:Avast Free Antivirus
Program version:23.1.6049 (build 23.1.7883.775)
Virus definitions version:230306-0
UI version:1.0.746

I have a problem with Huge CPU and HDD usage from Avast. The computer is unresponsive.
AvastSvc.exe has high ram and cpu usage, also I saw that AvDump.exe was having high cpu usage

Last year I had the same problem and I fixed it by fully reinstalling Avast, this has happened to two different computers, now it is happening again, don't you have some fix for this problem? I am thinking to go to another antivirus software provider, because this is so annoying to reinstall it so often, when no windows updates were even installed on the pc.
The whole problem is in the avast.

Any fix for this?

So far,
I tried to Repair App from the Troubleshooting menu, then restarting the computer - same problem
then I tried to disable all the shields, then restarting the computer - same problem
then I tried to update the definitions and the software to last version - no improvement to the problem

There is high HDD usage also from AvBugReport.exe
Main problem is coming from AvastSvc.exe, most HDD usage is here:
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\*.vpx
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\23030600\*.dll
Additionally to this HDD usage, AvastSvc.exe has also high ram usage like >2GB, and high cpu usage >85%
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:55:59 AM by PPnx »

Offline jan.svoboda

• Avast team
Re: PROBLEM Huge CPU and HDD usage avast bug
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 11:22:14 AM »
Hi PPnx, sorry for troubles caused by our AV product. Similar issue is being discussed in this topic: https://forum.avast.com/?topic=321775.45 . We asked other users with this problem for additional performance support package to help us analyze the issue. If you could please follow the latest instructions mentioned here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=321775.msg1701523#msg1701523 and also provide the support package it will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 11:27:49 AM by jan.svoboda »

Offline PPnx

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 11:58:14 AM »
"Please turn off the Avast Self-Defense in UI settings (troubleshooting section).
The please add DWORD registry value "DisableCPUFeatures" to this registry path "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Avast Software\Avast\properties\settings\Debug]", and set the value to 00001000 (HEX).
Now you can re-enable the Avast Self-Defense and then (this is important) please reboot the PC.
"
I understand this.

"After the PC reboot please wait or reproduce the issue and create the new performance recording, either by xperf command or by launching the recording from UI settings (troubleshooting section)."
I don't understand this.
What is xperf command and I don't see performance option in troubleshooting section?
Please provide clear instructions for Windows 7.

Offline jaroslav.nix

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 01:08:28 PM »
There is generic procedure to follow for any kind of performance related problem described here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=237567.0

It also contain the paragraph specific for Windows 7. This OS doesn't support recording from Avast UI (because the latest supported Avast version on Windows 7 is 21.2, which do not contain this feature).

Offline PPnx

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 01:42:31 PM »
There is generic procedure to follow for any kind of performance related problem described here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=237567.0

It also contain the paragraph specific for Windows 7. This OS doesn't support recording from Avast UI (because the latest supported Avast version on Windows 7 is 21.2, which do not contain this feature).

My avast is showing Program version:23.1.6049 (build 23.1.7883.775) on windows 7 64bit sp1.

I tried the generic procedure:
downloaded and installed http://public.avast.com/~nix/users/xperf/xperf_x64.msi
and in elevated command line I tried this command xperf.exe -on DiagEasy+DISPATCHER+Profile -stackwalk profile+CSwitch+ReadyThread -start avast -f \avast.etl -on 1492D477-3272-5C0C-D91A-C156CC3CD206
but it is giving me this error:
'xperf.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 01:45:08 PM by PPnx »

Offline jan.svoboda

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 01:35:06 PM »
Hello, new beta was just released. Could you please give it a try and let us know if the issue is resolved now?

Thanks a lot.