Author Topic: Since Google Chrome's last update, Avast is causing issues with saving settings.  (Read 9070 times)

Offline Lansing

Yeah and for whatever reason you cannot delete extension. Tried to remove adblock plus and everytime I removed it and restarted chrome it automatically installed it back. Deleted Avast from PC and the problem was instantly gone. And this was like 5 minutes ago so idk what the patch should've fixed.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Yeah and for whatever reason you cannot delete extension. Tried to remove adblock plus and everytime I removed it and restarted chrome it automatically installed it back. Deleted Avast from PC and the problem was instantly gone. And this was like 5 minutes ago so idk what the patch should've fixed.

Perhaps the clue is in the post 2 above yours.

Hello everyone,

we had a bug preventing saving Chromium-based browser settings in certain conditions. It is fixed in VPS 240709-00 which was released a couple of minutes ago. Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused.

EDIT: A restart might be needed for the fix to take effect.

Best regards,
Jiri

The Italics are my highlighting what was fixed.
This doesn't seem to be what you are experiencing
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
The problem also affected the installation of extensions, it caused them to be installed in Chromium (Chrome, EDGE, etc..) but when the browser was reopened the extensions were no longer there. 
So it may be that it didn't even uninstall them correctly and when reopened they reappeared.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline Chuck36

Yes this is a giant screw up for Avast.  Several days without any information and then a limited release of information in some forum posts.

I've been using your business cloud product (Essential Business Security) for some of my clients.  After, this, I'm done.  I'll use something else.

Offline Jiří Šembera

• Avast team
  • Core scanner developer
Does Avast have any technical documentation regarding what it does when it saves and later restores Chrome settings including extensions?

The issue was not with Avast restoring the settings, but preventing Chrome from saving them in the first place: There was a bug in our core scanner leaving the file open after scan, which prevented Chrome writing to that file so once you closed Chrome, all (or at least most) of settings changes got lost.

I probably should have worded the restart recommendation better as I meant computer restart. As I mentioned above, the problem was with an accidentally left opened file by our scanner, so removing the scanner also fixes the problem as the file gets closed automatically by Windows with the scanner process termination.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 10:40:11 AM by Jiří Šembera »