Author Topic: Since Google Chrome's last update, Avast is causing issues with saving settings.  (Read 9468 times)

Offline edungarian

Since Google Chrome's last update, Avast is causing issues with saving settings. Uninstalling Avast solves all issues related to the Chrome problems according to many Reddit and Google Help Forum members.

Offline weniard

Since Google Chrome's last update, Avast is causing issues with saving settings. Uninstalling Avast solves all issues related to the Chrome problems according to many Reddit and Google Help Forum members.
It isn’t chrome’s fault, one of my computers still has windows 7 and an older version of chrome and it’s the same issue there too. So it’s only 100% avast’s fault.

Offline Dagang

Having same problem for last 3 days, cannot remove/add bookmarks or extensions from Opera and Chrome. Turning down Avast doents help, only after uninstalling Avast solves the problem. AVG have similar problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/1dvssir/bookmarks_wont_save_after_exiting_chrome/

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/1dvghvj/bookmark_savingdeleting_problem/

Mozzila works normally without any problem.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 04:27:22 PM by Dagang »

Offline weniard

Having same problem for last 3 days, cannot remove/add bookmarks or extensions from Opera and Chrome. Turning down Avast doents help, only after uninstalling Avast solves the problem. AVG have similar problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/1dvssir/bookmarks_wont_save_after_exiting_chrome/

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/1dvghvj/bookmark_savingdeleting_problem/

Mozzila works normally without any problem.
I don’t understand why someone from Avast can’t give a quick update about this, this bug is literally crippling chrome and there is no workaround except for uninstalling avast.

There is not even a bug report on the website, only false true negative.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Is this just for Avast Secure Browser (ASB) or the Chrome Browser itself ?

I have tried to draw some attention to this topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline weniard

Thank you, my computer use Avast Free (latest version), I don’t know about the other users on this forum but it seems to be widespread.

I can only say for sure that the latest modification date for my bookmarks file is 30/5/2024, and when I tried at 3/6/2024 it stopped working for all 3 computers.

I never installed avast’s chrome extension on any of my pcs, my only extensions are: mywot + adblock but even after uninstalling them both the issue persists, only by uninstalling avast that the problem is fixed (and returns after avast installation).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 08:58:15 PM by weniard »

Offline Dagang

i use Avast premium, not using any Avast extension on Chrome or Opera. For testing i tried to download Avast browser - no problems there. So the only problems is Chrome (my main browser) and Opera.
Everything was Ok few days ago. So now I cannot remove/add bookmarks or extensions while Avast is instaled on my PC, after uninstalling Avast everything works fine, when i install it back the problems are back again.

Win 10, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@  weniard
First I don't use Chrome or any other chromium based browser, nor do I have the Avast Browser Add-on installed on Firefox (my default browser).  So I can't speak from personal experience.

What I was talking about in my post was the Avast Secure Browser (ASB), which is based on the Chromium.  Avast plays catchup when new Chrome updates are made as they have to incorporate these changes into the Secure Browser (ASB) browser. 

I'm at a loss as to how this would also impact Chrome.

If you haven't got the Avast Browser extension/add-on installed that shouldn't impact you. 
The latest Avast Free program version of avast! free is - 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809 - I got on 20/06.2024. Presumably you would have got yours arround that time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
I haven't noticed any issues with Bookmark saving/editing. But what I have noticed which a lot of other people are experiencing at least based on what the Chrome subreddit is showing me, is every time I close my browser I get a pop up saying that Chrome did not shut down properly. It also fails to properly load my Adblock Plus extension properly and I have to re-load it manually, and I also can't remove it completely as it just comes back with the same error.

It might not be Avast, that's just speculation so far, as there are a number of people who have reported issues with Chrome who don't have Avast or AVG installed. The timing also doesn't quite add up with the Avast update being the culprit as this issue didn't start happening for a lot of people until four or five days ago and most of us (myself included) updated well before that time. That being said, it could have come from an Avast emergency update or UI update which can happen without a full program update. I don't mean to necessarily let Avast off the hook prematurely as it is interesting that uninstalling Avast fixes the issue for some people, but there are a lot of people reporting similar problems with Chrome without having Avast installed.

I'm also using Avast Free whereas a lot of people saying uninstalling Avast fixed their Chrome issue are referring to Avast Premium, so not sure if that makes the difference here.

UPDATE: I tried changing my Download location settings, and after restarting the browser in addition to the above mentioned errors, that download directory setting reverted back to what it was before. I wonder if some settings that are device specific will change while others that sync across other devices through your Google account (like bookmarks or Language settings) will remain.

UPDATE 2: Yep, I just changed a setting that syncs across devices (Turning Safe Browsing off and then back on with Chrome restarts in between), and that setting stayed change. It looks like the settings issue is affecting device-specific settings. For the people who are having issues saving bookmarks, are any of you using Chrome as a standalone browser with no Google account login?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 12:17:48 AM by Dinobot2 »

Offline weniard

I haven't noticed any issues with Bookmark saving/editing. But what I have noticed which a lot of other people are experiencing at least based on what the Chrome subreddit is showing me, is every time I close my browser I get a pop up saying that Chrome did not shut down properly. It also fails to properly load my Adblock Plus extension properly and I have to re-load it manually, and I also can't remove it completely as it just comes back with the same error.

It might not be Avast, that's just speculation so far, as there are a number of people who have reported issues with Chrome who don't have Avast or AVG installed. The timing also doesn't quite add up with the Avast update being the culprit as this issue didn't start happening for a lot of people until four or five days ago and most of us (myself included) updated well before that time. That being said, it could have come from an Avast emergency update or UI update which can happen without a full program update. I don't mean to necessarily let Avast off the hook prematurely as it is interesting that uninstalling Avast fixes the issue for some people, but there are a lot of people reporting similar problems with Chrome without having Avast installed.

I'm also using Avast Free whereas a lot of people saying uninstalling Avast fixed their Chrome issue are referring to Avast Premium, so not sure if that makes the difference here.

UPDATE: I tried changing my Download location settings, and after restarting the browser in addition to the above mentioned errors, that download directory setting reverted back to what it was before. I wonder if some settings that are device specific will change while others that sync across other devices through your Google account (like bookmarks or Language settings) will remain.

UPDATE 2: Yep, I just changed a setting that syncs across devices (Turning Safe Browsing off and then back on with Chrome restarts in between), and that setting stayed change. It looks like the settings issue is affecting device-specific settings. For the people who are having issues saving bookmarks, are any of you using Chrome as a standalone browser with no Google account login?

Literally the first post on chrome subreddit… didn’t even have to search lmao
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/s/gBM33EHUIf

Obviously this is a widespread issue, every forum I go I see people with the same mysterious problem

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
The same problem occurs on EDGE, so it doesn't just impact Chrome.
Avast should fix this urgently.
I thought it was a Windows problem and I created a new user profile, etc... wasting a lot of time. Now I discover that the problem lies with Avast.
Resolve urgently!!!!
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline Dagang

Update 1: Tested on both web browsers Chrome and Opera (having problem on only these 2 search engines). On chrome i installed completlie new instalation - no extantions, no bookmarks, no login to account. On Opera i have it all.
Problem still impact both search devices. The moment i uninstall Avast everything works perfectly and having no problem whats so ever. When i install Avast premium back to PC - the problems are back again.
On both search engines i cannot change bookmarks, extentions neither change to dark mode. AVG has simular problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/1dvghvj/bookmark_savingdeleting_problem/
Mozzila and Avast browser works 100% all the time. Didint tested Edge, user Nunzio77 reported problem on it too.

The problem has to be combination from both sides Chrome (latest update) and Antivirus.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 09:05:41 AM by Dagang »

Offline Jiří Šembera

• Avast team
  • Core scanner developer
Hello everyone,

we had a bug preventing saving Chromium-based browser settings in certain conditions. It is fixed in VPS 240709-00 which was released a couple of minutes ago. Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused.

EDIT: A restart might be needed for the fix to take effect.

Best regards,
Jiri
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 09:21:26 AM by Jiří Šembera »

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
Hello everyone,

we had a bug preventing saving Chromium-based browser settings in certain conditions. It is fixed in VPS 240709-00 which was released a couple of minutes ago. Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused.

EDIT: A restart might be needed for the fix to take effect.

Best regards,
Jiri

This seems to have fixed it, though after a re-start I still get the "couldn't shut down properly" and extension errors the first time I open chrome, but so far on subsequent relaunches there are no issues. I don't get the two errors above (I can remove the ABP extension) and I can save settings I couldn't save before.

Offline misterharrystein

Does Avast have any technical documentation regarding what it does when it saves and later restores Chrome settings including extensions?