Author Topic: something funny with Webshield  (Read 1582 times)

Offline frankey999

something funny with Webshield
« on: June 19, 2024, 12:15:31 AM »
Hi all,
Hoping to get some advice about this issue.

I have 2 desktops, both using Avast free.  One of the desktops suddenly started to have a strange problem.  Whenever I reboot, I can browse to any site for a couple weeks, with no problem.

Then suddenly, whenever I try to get out to any website, after a delay I get the message "having trouble finding that site, can't connect to the server", even if it's just to google.

Then I turn off WebShield, and it works, for a while, until it doesn't.  Then turn Webshield off and it works again.

Running Win7, Avast 21.2.2455, build 21.2.6096.705 (can't go any higher unless I get some Windows patches).

It seems to have started after I uninstalled the Avast browser from the Programs and Features, as described here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=327035.msg1716989#msg1716989
Uninstalling the browser fixed the problem described in that thread, but I wonder if there's some connection to this new problem?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
Re: something funny with Webshield
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 02:05:55 AM »
Only things I can suggest are repairing Avast (either through the UI or through the Programs and Features area in Windows), and if that doesn't work, then doing a clean re-install of Avast.

And at the risk of giving you advice that you probably aren't interested in: use an OS that's currently in-support.

Offline frankey999

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 06:09:22 PM »
Thanks Dino for your response.

When I check Programs and Features, I don't see any option for Repair (even though the text says I can choose "uninstall, change or repair")

So I guess that only leaves me with the option to uninstall and then do a clean install.

Do you think it will install at all, given that I'm behind in my Windows patches?

Thanks.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 08:39:52 PM »
If you approach Uninstall you have already seen an option for Repair. Select that and it will run a repair of Avast.

It is the same as opening the Avast UI>Menu>settings>Troubleshooting> scroll down to [Repair App]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 08:42:02 PM by rocksteady »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2024, 09:29:21 PM »
If you approach Uninstall you have already seen an option for Repair. Select that and it will run a repair of Avast.

It is the same as opening the Avast UI>Menu>settings>Troubleshooting> scroll down to [Repair App]

Note: a system restart is advised to ensure any change is applied.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2024, 10:33:47 PM »
Thanks Dino for your response.

When I check Programs and Features, I don't see any option for Repair (even though the text says I can choose "uninstall, change or repair")

So I guess that only leaves me with the option to uninstall and then do a clean install.

Do you think it will install at all, given that I'm behind in my Windows patches?

Thanks.

Try finding the repair function in the UI itself, which should be under troubleshooting settings.

When you say you're behind on your Windows patches, are you just referring to you using Windows 7 which is out of support? Or that even your Windows 7 isn't full up to date with all of its security patches and updates?

Offline frankey999

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2024, 09:39:14 PM »
I found "It is the same as opening the Avast UI>Menu>settings>Troubleshooting> scroll down to [Repair App]" and did the repair.

I rebooted, and it is working for the moment.  It usually takes a couple weeks before it stops working, so for now I'm waiting.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'll report back what happens.

Offline frankey999

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 06:50:54 PM »
Well, it stopped working again.

I did the repair and rebooted, and it did work for a few days, but now no longer allows access to internet unless I turn off Webshield.

I'm thinking I need to uninstall Avast and re-install, but my question is this:

Since I'm behind on my Windows patches, which is stopping any Avast updates later than Avast 21.2.2455, does anyone have any idea if Avast will re-install, at least up to my current version, or will it simply refuse to install anything at all?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2024, 02:38:35 AM »
Regarding your Windows Patches, you never answered this question:

When you say you're behind on your Windows patches, are you just referring to you using Windows 7 which is out of support? Or that even your Windows 7 isn't full up to date with all of its security patches and updates?

Offline frankey999

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2024, 09:50:58 PM »
oh sorry, I meant my Win7 is out of date - I turned off auto-update years ago, if I remember it was because I read something about Microsoft trying to automatically update you to Win10 and I didn't want that.

Now Avast won't update because it says I need certain patches, but I'm afraid of breaking something if I get the patches.

Thanks.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2024, 10:50:13 PM »
At the very minimum you should completely update Windows 7. It shouldn't update you to Windows 10 automatically, that usually requires an extra click or authorization from the user to do.

I don't know what's causing issues on your end with your Web Shield, but if your only speculation is Windows 7 being out of date, you should update it. You should really update it immediately and not use an OS that's out of support but that's a different conversation.

If you're not willing to update and you still get the issue with Web Shield, then you're only other option is to ditch Avast and use something else.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2024, 10:54:04 PM »
oh sorry, I meant my Win7 is out of date - I turned off auto-update years ago, if I remember it was because I read something about Microsoft trying to automatically update you to Win10 and I didn't want that.

Now Avast won't update because it says I need certain patches, but I'm afraid of breaking something if I get the patches.

Thanks.

Even if you get these patches, it doesn't change the fact that you would be on an unsupported OS, Win7.

https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/antivirus-windows-7-faq/#pc
Quote from: Extract
For how long will Avast Antivirus continue to support Windows 7?

Based on current user data, we intend to continue supporting Windows 7 for at least another 2 years from January 2020. However, this could change based on the number of users who continue to run Windows 7.

Which is pretty much where we were in your other topic - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=327035.0 - having an old OS and an old version of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline frankey999

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2024, 06:00:40 PM »
Thanks guys.

I'll be looking into getting the needed patches, but in the meantime, any speculation as to what Avast will do if I remove and re-install Avast prior to getting the patches?

Would it refuse completely, or would it install up to the level I have now?

I suppose I could try the patches, and if they break something, just give up and upgrade to Win10.  I suppose Win10 is much more stable now than it was several years ago.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2024, 11:03:08 PM »
Nobody knows. Nobody else has this issue apparently so we would just be guessing.

Update or upgrade your OS and go from there.