Author Topic: Avast has blocked access... because one of the issuers of the server certificate  (Read 594 times)

Offline frankey999

Hi all,
Strange problem.  Suddenly getting these 2 messages, which looks very similar to this thread.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=307236.msg1662289#msg1662289

"blocked access to browser-update.avast.com  because one of the issuers of the server certificate has expired
"blocked access to eb.nextgenshopping.com  because one of the issuers of the server certificate has expired

The difference is, in the attached thread, they're using Avast browser, whereas I am using Firefox.
But I'm even getting the message when Firefox is ended ie no browser is active (although I see there are 12 instances of AvastBrowser.exe active when I look at Windows task manager, although I have never used the Avast browser)

I can assume the avast message is because Avast is trying to update something, but where is the other message coming from?
Are these Avast browser instances actually trying to do something?
Can I just end these processes?

Avast 21.2.2455 on Win7

Thanks for any ideas...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
That topic is over two years old so shouldn't really be used as a reference point.

You are running an old version of avast.
What is the Avast Antivirus Program version and build number is installed  ?
If it is possible you should update that.

You say you never installed ASB - I have never installed ASB and no instances running in the Win10 task manager.
So is there an instance of ASB in Windows Programs, Apps and features ?

What is your default Browser and is it possible that you installed the ASB browser add-on  ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline frankey999

The program version is 21.2.2455 (build 21.2.6096.705)

It won't update because it says I need some Microsoft updates first.

From what I could see, in the past whenever Avast updated itself, it always also updated AvastBrowser, and usually started the browser as well, which I always ended.  But since it stopped updating maybe a year or so ago, it never starts the browser, although whenever I reboot, it always starts instances which I can see in task manager - usually starts with one, and over time adds more until like now there's 12.  I'd really like to know why they're there.

My default browser is FF.  There is no active browser at the moment, not even FF, yet once in a while that message pops up.  So what is initiating the call to "browser-update.avast.com"?

I have a couple Avast extensions, but they're disabled.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The fact that they are disabled may not stop them being updated, so they are up to date as and when you enable them.  I have lots of firefox add-ons and depending on your settings they will update in the background. 

Personally if you aren't using them I would remove them and see if that resolves it.

Those add-ons if old could have the wrong update location, triggering the blocked access error.

Look in the Windows programs, apps and features and see if the
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline frankey999

So I removed them both, but still I get the messages.

Your last line got cut off, so not sure where you were going, but I checked Programs and Features, and see Avast Secure Browser, and it says installed on 08/03/2024.  Don't know where that date came from, since Avast hasn't been updating for a year or so.

I guess I could try removing it and see what happens... unless there's something else I can try first?

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Yes the last link got cropped "Look in the Windows programs, apps and features and see if the " but I think you got the gist of it.

Essentially did you find programs in app and features and remove them as suggested/implied, is that what you mean ?
If you still have the Avast Secure Browser installed, it will check for updates, if it is an old version it could be looking in the wrong web location, hence the errors.

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words, if you can post a screenshot of the message you are getting.

- Attaching Images to your post - When you Click the Reply button it opens a text window for you to post your comment (reply or post).
Click the Preview button, that shows what you have input and expands it to include 'Attachments and other options'. Click that it further expands, here you can attach images, etc. at the bottom of your post.
See my attached image, click to expand.

Offline frankey999

Well I uninstalled the Avast browser from the Programs and Features.  I noticed the 12 instances of AvastBrowser.exe are also gone from the Processes tab in Windows Task manager.

I hope it was that simple.

I'll monitor to see if those Avast messages come back.

Thanks a lot for your help David - really helps to know where to look.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.