Author Topic: Versions 8 and lower no longer supported  (Read 85660 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Versions 8 and lower no longer supported
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2024, 03:10:51 PM »
Virus definitions for Avast version 5-11 are indeed not created anymore (they are not compiled, not signed, not released - they simply do not exist).
The techspot.com page only makes it appear they are, most likely because they are showing the release date of the 18+ definitions (i.e. of a program version that is current and supported). But the definitions you actually download from there for Avast 5-11 are old, they won't update anything.

Offline visionhelp

« Reply #61 on: Today at 01:48:53 PM »
Wouh, just deleting my comment, with lot effort written !

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #62 on: Today at 02:02:12 PM »
It is called flogging a dead horse, it isn't going to get up again.  So trying to breath life into a very old topic where the last response by a senior Avast Team Member, was over 9 months ago and pretty clear.

Quote from: igor
Virus definitions for Avast version 5-11 are indeed not created anymore (they are not compiled, not signed, not released - they simply do not exist).

Support has ended for those Avast Program versions.

A commercial company can't keep supporting old versions of a program version when the numbers of users doesn't justify the expense to continue that support (even if they were for paid products.  People also have a duty of care to look after their own systems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline visionhelp

« Reply #63 on: Today at 07:37:46 PM »
The more sad then is, that my comment appears to must have been deleted.
YOU did read it, but no one else.
This to me is not OK at all, sorry.
This does make a senseful talk exchange impossible, please.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #64 on: Today at 08:27:33 PM »
It is a case of trying to breath life into a dead topic started over 4 years ago - Avast have made the decision to cease support for Avast versions 8 and lower.  That isn't going to change, for the many reasons already given in this topic.  Not only would it be very complex to continue support for these old Avast version and newer OSes (as has been explained already), it would also be labour and cost inefficient for the limited numbers trying to stay on Version 8 or earlier.

When you try to post in an old topic there is a warning about it being an old topic, trying to breath life into it isn't going to change Avasts decision.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security