Author Topic: self-defence causes error with msconfig  (Read 9224 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: self-defence causes error with msconfig
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »
After doing changes in msconfig I suddenly got this message when trying to click Apply or Ok :
'an access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes'.

I also can't reproduce that (as posted by other posters here) - unless avast! services are affected, which is the expected behavior. Are you sure that you didn't change the state of some of avast!'s services as well?

But I do agree that there should be a more meaningful message, if it is generated by the self defence rather than by windows. The same problem occurred when someone to modify the clean notes message and that message didn't mention avast self-defence.

No, the message doesn't come from avast! - avast! just denies access to the item (file, process, registry value) - all related error messages are given by the application trying to do the change.
However, you are right, it's not possible to edit the e-mail notes now... should be fixed somehow.

I could do absolutely nothing until I acknowledged the message, not even use snagit screen capture, I had to use Ctrl+alt+PrintSrceen and then edit it.

Yes, that's on purpose. It's similar to Vista UAC - to prevent "automated clickers" from closing the window without user's knowledge.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: self-defence causes error with msconfig
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
<snip>
I could do absolutely nothing until I acknowledged the message, not even use snagit screen capture, I had to use Ctrl+alt+PrintSrceen and then edit it.

Yes, that's on purpose. It's similar to Vista UAC - to prevent "automated clickers" from closing the window without user's knowledge.

Yes, I got that and it is my expected reaction. If only the intercept that works when changing the avast4.ini (outside of the GUI, in notepad) would also apply to the editing of the clean note files, then users would know it is avast self-defence at work and a bit of an advert for its power.

My mention of not being able to do anything to change avast files without acknowledgement (when asked for) was for the benefit 'fnukyguy' to indicate that avast wouldn't allow the changes even after he had clicked OK or Apply in msconfig (quote below).

It wasn't a good example as it was as I said drifting off-topic being about msconfig, it was just to give some sort of indication of the tenasity of the avast self-defence module in not letting you make changes.

I got the same errormessage on all startup entries or services, even those who has nothing to do with Avast.
Basically, any change at all inside msconfig produced this error after clicking ok or apply. 
However, the changes were saved even though the message appeared. 
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security