Author Topic: First scan taking very long  (Read 7654 times)

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: First scan taking very long
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 10:15:46 PM »
ah ... right ..but below that you see the following

Scanned count: 8709
Infected Count: 0
Task name: Resident protection
Run time: 1:23:10:20 (and counting)

This does not look like something you would see during the boot time scan or the standard scan in Avast. Am I making a mistake? It does state "Task name: Resident protection"

Yes.  that is the screen I see. 

The thing I was pointing to and bkaylor confirmed is attached at the bottom of this post.

I'm getting lost. If the computer runs non-stop for 2 days, won't the Resident protection run for that long?
 ???
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

CharleyO

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »

Yes, you are correct in that resident protection will run for as long as the computer is running.

Maybe I mis-understood what bkaylor was talking about.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 10:43:34 PM »
 :( So sorry I forgot to add the photo in my previous post....

Yes, you are correct in that resident protection will run for as long as the computer is running.

Maybe I mis-understood what bkaylor was talking about.

I believed the same thing initially but after several questions and the fact that a thorough scan should not take this long as well as what  bkaylor said before I was certain he was referring to the standard shield. I believe that you have more experience than me so when you started asking questions  I thought I made a mistake so I wanted to make sure ...  :-\

Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

bkaylor

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 12:58:49 AM »
I appreciate the feedback.  I'm unsure now if I have a problem.  The computer is running fine; it isn't running slow.

thanks