Author Topic: First scan taking very long  (Read 7683 times)

bkaylor

First scan taking very long
« on: April 08, 2009, 04:56:21 AM »
I installed avast! yesterday on Vista.  It has been scanning for 24 hours and has only processed 4000 files.  Is that normal?

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: First scan taking very long
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:42:08 PM »
ah... no

Please provide a bit more information.
What Vista do you have? (32-bit or 64 -bit, home basic, home premium etc.)
What are some of your computer specs? (Processor type or speed, hard drive etc.)
Do you have other security software on that computer? (McAfee, Norton, AVG etc.)
Do you use the Windows Firewall or have a Third party Firewall? (Online Armour, Zone Alarm, etc.)

Any bit of info you provide will allow forum members to help.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:09:21 PM »
No, it's not normal... do you mean the boot time scanning?
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:05:14 PM »
No, it's not normal... do you mean the boot time scanning?

Even so the boot time scan can't take a whole day can it? On my laptop with a fair number of programs and media files about 93 GB of actual info (System and All) it takes 3 to 4 hours unless I got it wrong.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:07:36 PM »
Are you doing a Thorough Scan?
Also, answer CCU's questions please: 
Please provide a bit more information.
What Vista do you have? (32-bit or 64 -bit, home basic, home premium etc.)
What are some of your computer specs? (Processor type or speed, hard drive etc.)
Do you have other security software on that computer? (McAfee, Norton, AVG etc.)
Do you use the Windows Firewall or have a Third party Firewall? (Online Armour, Zone Alarm, etc.)

Any bit of info you provide will allow forum members to help.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

bkaylor

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 03:34:31 AM »
It is an Inspiron 1525 laptop, Vista Home Premium SP1,

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5550@1.83GHZ, 3GB memory, 32-bit

Windows Firewall is on.  Windows Defender is on.

So I did the install of avast! 4.8.  It started a scan by itself.  I figure that is a full scan.

Scanned count: 8709
Infected Count: 0
Task name: Resident protection
Run time: 1:23:10:20 (and counting)

bkaylor

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:37:52 AM »
So no other security software (Norton, Macafee, etc).

285 GH HD, 63GB used.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:25:26 AM »
Yeah..something is off.

So I did the install of avast! 4.8.  It started a scan by itself.  I figure that is a full scan.

OK now just one thing.

You are running the computer and using it as we speak. If that is the case then to see this scan you mention you double clicked the little a spinning icon in the bottom right corner. See attached picture bellow.

There is nothing to worry. That is not a scan per say. You wi'll see a series a other scanners on the left side of the window. Well these scanners serve as an active part of your anti-virus.

The standard shield is there to scan files you open so as to prevent a virus from starting and preventing the infection rather than letting it infect you and then trying to remove it. It is one of the best features of Avast.
The web shield protects you when browsing the web. It scan the web pages you load and if it sees something suspicious it gives you a warning and stops you from downloading the virus onto your computer.
The other Shields are self explanatory.

You will see a cursor with the option of sensitivity. Mine is set to high but most avast users set it Normal considering that this is the best combination between performance and security. That's up to you.

Just reply to make sure that we are thinking of the same thing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:28:00 AM by Confused Computer User »
Computer Systems:

bkaylor

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 05:36:38 AM »
I understand what you are saying, and it makes sense.  But when I'm not browsing the web and have no programs running the scan continues.  It is currently going through my pictures folder.  Is it the case that during idle time it is doing a continous scan of the hard drive?

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 05:44:02 AM »
I understand what you are saying, and it makes sense.  But when I'm not browsing the web and have no programs running the scan continues.  It is currently going through my pictures folder.  Is it the case that during idle time it is doing a continous scan of the hard drive?

Well, there is no such thing as idle time on a computer if you think about it. Even if you are not moving the mouse or using the keyboard as long as your computer is running there will be some file some where being modified or opened by something.

This occurs regardless of how many programs you have opened in the foreground. In the backgroung there are programs running that you are not aware of and avast monitors those as well.

Also can you confirm that the picture i added in my previous post is what you are referring to when you say scan?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:46:34 AM by Confused Computer User »
Computer Systems:

bkaylor

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »
Yes.  that is the screen I see.  So I guess everything is running normal, just my lack of understanding.

thanks for helping. 

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 04:42:05 PM »

Yes.  that is the screen I see.  So I guess everything is running normal, just my lack of understanding.
It would appear so. And no worries, we can't be expected to know everything?

thanks for helping. 

Glad to be of service,
Cheers
Computer Systems:

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 07:30:41 PM »

Since you just installed avast and this scan started by itself, this is the initial scan by avast to insure your computer is clean when it was installed. This scan might take several hours as I believe it is a thorough scan.

But, it should not take 24 hours.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 08:08:38 PM »
Hi CharleyO.

I think I clarified what bkaylor was talking about.
If you look the post in which I attached an image, you will see that bkaylor is referring to the standard shield.

Computer Systems:

CharleyO

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 08:15:48 PM »
It is an Inspiron 1525 laptop, Vista Home Premium SP1,

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5550@1.83GHZ, 3GB memory, 32-bit

Windows Firewall is on.  Windows Defender is on.

I added bold to the reply of bkaylor that my post above was in reference to.