Author Topic: Whats your Avast! story?  (Read 9683 times)

Pedro Hin

Re: Whats your Avast! story?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »
I work in a computer repair shop. We use all kinds of tools to clean virus / malware from systems. The boot-time scan capability of Avast! is a major factor that keeps it at the top of our list of tools to help clean a system.

We also purchased a license for the BART cd, and use that quite a bit for unbootable systems, or when customers are particularly attached to their antivirus/internet security suite and don't want us to uninstall it.

We are also fairly successful as an Avast! reseller. I do wish the process for purchasing on a customer's behalf was a bit more intuitive. But I think this might be more a problem with 'Element 5'.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:37:58 AM »
OK, now I'll admit it--the last paid antivirus I had (besides PRO) was Norton.

I have always said that the Norton uninstall program was the best thing they ever developed. ;D

I understand that Norton is better today but I will never try it.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 03:16:24 AM »
I have always said that the Norton uninstall program was the best thing they ever developed. ;D
;)
Why do we, ex-NAV users, hate it? :)
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 04:27:20 AM »
I don't hate it at all. I still think Norton products are excellent. I never had a single problem in almost 10 years of using them and always found them easy to install/uninstall and to upgrade. The versions since 2007 will upgrade to the latest version flawlessly without having to uninstall the previous one first. I also never experienced any of the slowdowns attributed to Norton products. My systems always were responsive and trouble free. The only reason I stopped using NIS was that I wanted to see the degree of protection I could get with free products instead of paying $50 a year for a subscription. Another thing Norton has done though is that they include a free upgrade to the latest version of your software in the price of the subscription. Years ago, they didn't do that. They still offer an excellent product if you are willing to pay for it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 04:50:44 AM »
I don't hate it at all. I still think Norton products are excellent. I never had a single problem in almost 10 years of using them and always found them easy to install/uninstall and to upgrade. The versions since 2007 will upgrade to the latest version flawlessly without having to uninstall the previous one first. I also never experienced any of the slowdowns attributed to Norton products. My systems always were responsive and trouble free. The only reason I stopped using NIS was that I wanted to see the degree of protection I could get with free products instead of paying $50 a year for a subscription. Another thing Norton has done though is that they include a free upgrade to the latest version of your software in the price of the subscription. Years ago, they didn't do that. They still offer an excellent product if you are willing to pay for it.
= hate

avast
= love
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »
I really think the two (Avast! and Norton) are equal, the only difference being the price. Years ago, when AVG was the be all of free solutions, it still was not up to par with the paid products and none of the other free AV's were either. Nowadays, a lot of the freebies are just as good.

I'm using Avast! because it's free and from everything I've read and some experiences with other products is overall the best of the free products. If I was willing to once again start paying for protection my choice would be between NIS and AIS and it would be a hard decision.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 09:03:17 AM »
I agree, Norton is a good AV product. But I still prefer AIS (and always will). :)

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »
I like avast! and happy that it is popular:
AVAST Software 19.14%
http://www.oesisok.com/news-resources/reports/worldwide-antivirus-market-share-report%202010