Author Topic: Whats your Avast! story?  (Read 9694 times)

antonyburgess

Whats your Avast! story?
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:41:16 AM »
mine started 6 years ago when i first got my own  computer and after a day of having it, it had tons of trojans  and i was using avg at the time and it did nothing. so my grandad came to my house and installed avast and it cleaned my pc up and since then ive  been loyal to it :D

ccookie

Re: Whats your Avast! story?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:53:47 AM »
I first installed it on an old laptop that had tons of viruses on it, I new nothing about antivirus or anything, so I googled how to remove viruses, and a website said I need to get an antivirus program, so I researched it, and I saw a review that said Avast! was the best antivirus software, and it sure was! Got rid of all those viruses fast!  ;D

Dch48

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:23:22 AM »
I just started using it about 2 months ago and so far I'm very pleased. I had used paid solutions from 1999 to 2009 starting with McAfee for about a year and then Norton the rest of the time. I  never got infected in all that time but a number of things were caught by the AV I was using at the time. I used Comodo Internet Security with their AV for a year from June 2009 to May of this year but grew tired of all the alerts from a HIPS based product and switched to a combination of the basic Comodo Firewall without the HIPS and Avast! Free AV. So far , so good.  I still have yet to be infected since I first got on the 'net 11 years ago.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »
I abandoned AVG for avast almost six and a half years ago and have never looked back.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 04:08:51 PM »
i first got my own  computer and after a day of having it, it had tons of trojans

how did you manage to do that ???

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
Winter 2008. I had a virus that kept completely freezing my computer. AVG detected it but my PC froze mid-scan. The scan log was corrupted, and I never detected it again. I eventually took my PC to a repair shop, and they said the hard drive was physically ruined (more recent testing says this may be true). They got me a new hard drive, reinstalled Windows, and put Avast! on it, which I had never heard of, as well as MBAM, and SAS. After I used Avast! for a bit, and started frequenting these forums, I'm confident I won't change antivirus' for a long time.

Offline RZPogi

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 06:01:46 PM »
I started using avast three years ago when I heard it from my friend. I was previously using Trendmicro pccillin 2006 which is pretty damn useless against viruses and malware.

Avast caught some hidden malware on the computer, and it was lighter in resources compared to Trendmicro.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

GloobyGoob

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 06:32:57 PM »
I've used many AV's before and they weren't right for me. AVG let in tons of viruses on my old computer, McAfee caused BSODS, Avira kept nagging, MSE didn't have more options and scans were too slow. Norton was pretty good though. But with avast, I've never had a single threat on my computer. Stuck with it for 2-3 years (and will keep doing so ;)). Eventually I upgraded to Internet Security and I'm loving the firewall and the sandbox. ^-^   

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
mine started 6 years ago when i first got my own  computer and after a day of having it, it had tons of trojans  and i was using avg at the time and it did nothing. so my grandad came to my house and installed avast and it cleaned my pc up and since then ive  been loyal to it :D

Remember last July when we were asked to submit a testimonial to Alwil headquarters? I don't think they ever did anything with them but here is mine:

Back in the Windows 98 days, I evaluated all available FREE antivirus programs. At the time I was using a paid version of a "Name Brand" antivirus program on my two computers. At the time, I had determined that if I ever decided to use a FREE antivirus program, avast! would be the one that I would use. I put my notes away and that was it for several years.

I did continue to evaluate avast! from time to time and even joined the avast! forum in December of 2003 to keep up with how avast! was doing.

I finally installed the 2005 version of that "Name Brand" antivirus programs on my two computers but began experiencing problems- not the complaints that most people experienced - bloat and bogging down their computers but warning messages like asking me to activate the program which I had done months earlier and also a message that the program did not have a repair feature and that I should uninstall the program and reinstall. A point of interest is that the uninstall program which this company has developed is probably one of the best things they have produced in recent years. :D

Finally, in late 2006 I received another message telling me to uninstall and reinstall the program. When I began the install process, I received a message saying that I had attempted too many installs and must somehow show proof that I had purchased the program. I had the proof but was so sick of problems with this software that I gave up and installed avast! on my THREE computers. As a side point, I had the 2006 versions of this software which I sold on the Internet for $1.00 US. I pity the persons who bought them.

I now have 5 computers- 4 desktops and one laptop and they all have avast! installed. The desktop that I use the most has avast! Professional installed. I really didn't have to buy the Pro version since I am a hobbyist but I like the added features and also wanted to say thanks to the folks in the Czech Republic.

Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with the results I have gotten from avast! and something very drastic would have to happen before I would ever change my mind.

I think that the friends to whom I have recommended avast! would agree with me.

Thank you avast!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:44:39 PM by jadinolf »
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:50:53 PM »
It's a long story... I've used McAfee (Viruscan), Norton, AVG and then avast since 8 years ago.
As a second opinion I've used Avira for a short time.
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:34:57 AM »
I've used Symantec, Kaspersky, and Avast.  I've set up countless computers for my friends and family and they all for some reason insist on Symantec even though it is a hog and their machines are so bloated, so I'm trying to spread the word how light Avast is in comparison.  I use Avast on all 3 of my machines and I would never go back.  :)

Edited: typo
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:43:05 PM by SafeSurf »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »
A friend referred me to avast and said dont bother about AVG which was the most popular AV
that soon turned out to be true, nearly every computer I installed avast, and needed to have AVG removed

now most of my friends have avast,
and those with pre-installed AV will install avast once their free period is up
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »
Well, I stumbled over it many years ago...
Tried it. Liked it. Kept it since then... ;)
And most important: I never regretted it...!!!!! ;D
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »
Similar to a lot of stories.
I had AVG on this computer, once the pre-loaded trial of Norton expired, got a Zolob trojan that installed SpywareQuake, a variant of SpyAxe, a rogue.
AVG detected but couldn't remove it. I didn't know what I was doing, Spybot couldn't stop it, neither AdAware, I had to take it to the shop to be cleaned.
Got it back and there were still remnants. Started to get serious about learning how to prevent/clean these things and joined a famous antimalware site, recently demised unfortunately. (Castle cops.)

The word was, that Avast was amongst the best of the free AV's. Lots of folk posting HJT logs were using AVG, or Norton, not so many had Avast.

The conclusion was obvious. Never looked back, nor sideways. Never felt the need. ;)

This could develop into an interesting thread.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 01:14:29 PM »
I abandoned AVG for avast almost six and a half years ago and have never looked back.

I've abandoned Norton for avast almost six and a half years ago and have never looked back as well ;D cause Norton keep asking me for more money >:(
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip