Author Topic: Avast conflict with Sleep & Hibernate Mode  (Read 9111 times)

dawnb

Avast conflict with Sleep & Hibernate Mode
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »
Just bought a new HP G62-367dx laptop.  I unistalled the free trial of Norton and installed the 30 day trial of Avast Internet Security.  Now my laptop will not go to sleep or hibernate correctly.  When it goes to sleep, the screen goes black, computer still running but cant get it out of that mode.  You have to do a hard shut down, which causes Windows system error on boot up.  Then I get a window "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" Problem event name: BlueScreen.  Closing the lid causes the same problem also.  I unistalled AIS and now it works fine.  I really like Avast and dont want to use Norton.  Anybody know how to fix this issue? 
Thanks!

Silent Assassin

Re: Avast conflict with Sleep & Hibernate Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »
Hello dawnb,
I also experienced the same problem during beta testing of the 5.1 version.

Which version did you use exactly? 5.1.864?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:08:10 PM »
Hi dawnb: I would also ask how did you uninstall Norton and did you use the venders Uninstall Utility. Any remnants from previous firewalls will invariably cause issues when installing another Firewall (Security Software).  :)

dawnb

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
It is the free trial on there now. It's showing version 5.0.677.100921

Thanks

dawnb

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:13:33 PM »
I used the add/remove from windows.  I never installed the Norton free trial.  I dont know if that matters or not.  Thanks

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:26:49 PM »
I used the add/remove from windows.  I never installed the Norton free trial.  I dont know if that matters or not.  Thanks

Hi: The version you installed is not the latest. The latest version is 5.1.864

Please follow these instructions.
First run the Nortin uninstall 'tool' found here: http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
Scroll down to 26a and click on 'tool'
Once the tool has finished reboot your computer if it doesn't automatically.
Once up and running again you will now have to remove any Avast remnants.
First uninstall 5.0.677 via Add and Remove Programs and reboot your computer.
Then follow these instructions:

Please Download the latest version of Avast, 5.1.864
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe (English only) and save it to your hard drive where you can access it easily.
Then download the Avast Clean up Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your hard drive where you can access it easily.
Please go to Start/Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs and choose Avast and click Remove and then Uninstall. Once the uninstall process is completed, Reboot your computer and when up and running, Reboot again into 'Safe Mode' and find the (aswClear v5) download you saved to your hard drive and run the Clean up tool. Make sure you first choose the version you want to cleanup and then run the tool from the scroll down choices, your computer will automatically reboot. Once up and running in Normal Mode, Install the latest version of Avast you saved to your hard drive and all should be fine. Please remember you need to choose the version in the Clean up tool that you have had installed on your system.In your case it will be version 5 If you have had both v.4 and v.5 installed, then you need to follow the ‘safe mode’ process twice; once for each version separately.

NOTE: Please run CCLeaner after you Reboot and before Clean install of Avast
This is Free and Safe Hard Drive Cleaner> http://www.piriform.com/
If you have any problems please feel free to let us know.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:28:39 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline rwaters

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:46:37 PM »
I used the add/remove from windows.  I never installed the Norton free trial.  I dont know if that matters or not.  Thanks

I know some will disagree with me on this, but as a "newbie" you should be aware that the latest version (5.1.864) has a number of known bugs and a new build is in the works, hopefully to be released within the next few days. Although the bugs do not affect every user, they do affect enough people that you might want to install the last stable version 5.0.677 instead, and update to the next build when it comes out. If you want to take this safer approach, you can get the 5.0.677 version from FileHippo:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/8292/

Also, Norton A/V is notoriously difficult to completely eradicate from your system even if you properly use Windows' Add/Remove application. It's best to follow a normal uninstall by running Norton's own standalone removal tool, rather than one from a third party. You can get it here:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=&pvid=&docurl=20080710133834EN

Again, I expect some flames from other members of this forum for recommending that you not install 5.1.864, but I hope you start your Avast relationship on a positive note.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:06:38 PM by rwaters »

Offline rwaters

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »
UPDATE:

Or you can try the latest pre-release, which is intended to fix a number of known problems:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68927.0

I have installed this version and it did fix the particular issue I was having.

dawnb

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:02:24 AM »
hi schmidthouse,

I followed your instructions but the only difference is I installed the new  5.1.874 as rwaters had suggested.

I got the blue screen of death driver_irql_not_less_or_equal .....ndis.sys  I had to go into safe mode and uninstall avast with the program you recommended.  My computer is fine now.

Not sure what to do now.  Give up? Just try the free antivirus software? Try another version of Internet Security? Buy the Internet Security...is this a different release than the free trial? The free trial takes you to cnet's website and the version is the one that I had trouble with.

Thanks for all the help/responses.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 03:12:33 AM »
hi schmidthouse,

I followed your instructions but the only difference is I installed the new  5.1.874 as rwaters had suggested.

I got the blue screen of death driver_irql_not_less_or_equal .....ndis.sys  I had to go into safe mode and uninstall avast with the program you recommended.  My computer is fine now.

Not sure what to do now.  Give up? Just try the free antivirus software? Try another version of Internet Security? Buy the Internet Security...is this a different release than the free trial? The free trial takes you to cnet's website and the version is the one that I had trouble with.

Thanks for all the help/responses.

What Anti-Virus/ Version do you have installed at the present time?

jsonner

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 02:48:40 AM »
I have a similar issue.  I have 5.0.864 and the screen goes blank on shutdown then shuts down.  I tried installing the later release an blue screened like SilentAssassin.  I uninstalled and now can sleep fine.