Author Topic: Avast free scan found and deleted several files, now PC can only boot to BIOS  (Read 892 times)

Offline danielyoung1001

Hello all, recently when starting up my PC Avast gave a cmd prompt style request to scan through my files, so I let it, in case there was good reason it had asked so abruptly. After it had searched, several items had been identified, I deleted all, (stupidly not paying attention to their names or placing them in the chest) and from that point onward, when booting, I only see my ROG splash screen before being taken automatically to my BIOS. I have attemped to change the boot options in various configurations, changing my first boot option and enabling CSM to both UEFI and Legacy respectively,  which has only led to the same result. I have noted that my situation appears very similar to the last half of this thread: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=165178.0

A big difference being that this person was on Windows 7, and therefore able to access safe mode with F8 to repair their system, which is something I never activated on my Windows 10 PC, and now am unable to. I have also been unable to activate automatic repair through shutting my PC down 3 times at startup, as I have not been able to reach the windows screen.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not very experienced with PCs so bear with me, and I have not tampered with it's internals past giving it a basic clean, for fear of making the problem worse. If anyone needs more details on my PC, I will do my best to give them.

Offline Nom

The bootloader may be damaged. You don't need to touch the BIOS. You need to boot the computer from the windows 10 boot disk and run the commands in cmd.
bootrec.exe /FixMbr
bootrec.exe /FixBoot