Author Topic: Free Avast not enough Quota boot time scanner xp.  (Read 12774 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Free Avast not enough Quota boot time scanner xp.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »
That might well be the case (I honestly thought it was 256MB), but it really is totally unreasonable.

What you also have to consider is when you add other applications they might have minimums, but you should consider the cumulative effect of all these minimums would require a lot of Swapfile (pagefile.sys) use, swapping out stuff in memory to the HDD as memory is used.

This puts extra load on your HDD and also becomes a bottleneck as this data is swapped in and out of RAM/HDD. Now before windows is fully functional, as in the boot-time scan I don't know if this swapping is possible; so avast has to work with the available resources and the virus signature file is of the order of 28MB and that too presumably has to be loaded into memory before any scan takes place. The physical boot-time scan is also going to be memory intensive too, so the cumulation of all of this could well give a problem with limited RAM. So whatever you can do to up that would be worthwhile I believe.

So regardless of what either MS or Alwil suggest as Minimum RAM, I believe it should be taken with a small pinch of salt and opt for realistic working minimums (yes both parties could do with updating that minimum requirement). Vista gives some ridiculously small minimum but most have found that less than 1GB is hard work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gpatrick

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »
Unfortunately,  I cant get ram right now,  I just bought xp sp2 (I installed sp3 disk).  However, chkdsk does run at boot for your information.  The only way I could get more ram now,  if it quits.   Money is tight,  I really don't want to spend it for ram,  buying xp and the service pack disk was enough.   The reasons I got xp was because of flash,pay bills, and read web pages.  I didn't say avast didn't work in xp. A little slow to load at first, but that does not bug me.   Plus, where I live,  it is very hard to find a computer store that would have ram.   Also, Windows 98se hates more that 128 mb of ram.  I dual boot.

This makes me wonder if Avast hates be installed on the 2 partition

Fat32
Partition one-Windows 98se
Partition two-Windows xp
Partition three- No operating system but used to share files.

Maybe I need to reverse the two
Fat32
Partition one-Windows xp
Partition two-Windows 98se

(Note,  the error happen without the boot manager installed,   I just got tired of using windows 98se fdisk and windows xp disk management to go back and forth.)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:07:54 PM by gpatrick »

gpatrick

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »
I may have found the reason why Avast boot scanner does not work.   My Rage XL pci driver is blocking it.  This loads,  when the system loads and uses 8 MB which cant be changed.