Author Topic: continuous reboot after installing 5.0.462 free  (Read 7762 times)

tryinhard

Re: continuous reboot after installing 5.0.462 free
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »
OK--I'll line-item everything and see, but the setups have been in place for a long time, and the only difference I can think of right now is that one accepts 5.0 and one doesn't.  I didn't intend to alienate anybody, but I really am smart enough in this discipline, if not in forum ethics, to know when certain things are a wild goose chase.  No, I don't have the answer to my plight, but that shouldn't automatically open up my skill level or integrity to ridicule from others.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »
Well back in the 4.8 version this could also happen (Operating system restart needed) when reboot.txt or a registry key wasn't being reset after the boot for whatever reason (registry protection, some firewalls, etc.). Now this may well be way off base in version 5.0 if it uses the same method to initiate the reboot and to remove it after the reboot, but I guess it is worth a try.

This is the complete list of checks for 4.8 to try and resolve that:
Operating system restart needed by avast message - First check the contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file, which should show you why it thinks the reboot is needed. ( re 5.0 C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\reboot.txt)
This may be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt. With the avast self-defence module it will complain so disable that first, Program Settings, Troubleshooting.

If that doesn't resolve it check this:
You can also check this registry entry (right after computer restart):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, if it contains "PendingFileRenameOpertaions".

Check its contents and if there's only "reboot.txt" from avast4\setup folder, delete PendingFileRenameOperations, don't delete any other key. (re 5.0 "reboot.txt" from avast4\setup folder)
Back-up (export) the registry key before you edit/delete, just in case.

If that still isn't the problem it could be a tweaking exercise that has an impact on avast.
- Also see 8,3 Tweak issue - Check out this thread and see if some of the possible solutions can help you too.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28199.0

Now as mentioned this is 4.8 related so you will have to try and suss out the differences in 5.0 locations, etc. (bracketed italics) and see if any exist and if that resolves it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tryinhard

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 12:20:17 AM »
In response to oldpro--I went through everything with a fine-tooth comb, including all Cdrive entries, registry, task manager--everything I could think of and found no flags.  The only difference is that one has 5.0 and the other 4.8.  Now, this is in regard to DOS and programming--I cannot verify about the BIOS setups, but am going on the basis that once Windows starts, they become a non-issue--hope that's right.  I have a nice reply from David R that I need to study on a while, but hope you will get back to me.

oldpro

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 12:51:59 AM »
It took a little while to get through all your postings, and I just looked at David R's reply also--I see a genuine good effort there.  However, let me suggest a slightly different approach before you delve into his suggestions.  Either way, if you are keen on keeping the 5.0 effort alive, it is going to require the removal of 4.8 yet again in any case, and if it were to be another non-successful install of 5.0, a reinstall of 4.8 plus updates, which I see is a thorny subject for you.  However, you indicate you already have the removal tool for both, plus the 4.8 and 5.0 programs already downloaded, so that will be your decision.  Now, after looking at all the activity connected with this problem, it is my humble opinion that this is most likely just a boot problem, and not a major program issue, which seems to agree with David R's latest approach.  I say this because you indicate that 5.0 downloads just fine, plus it will update and so forth as it should, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T REBOOT.  That shows me that your system is fully capable of accepting AND running the program.  When you reboot, you say the icon shows up, but after a short delay, it goes into the vicious reboot cycle.  For some reason, 5.0 will not start as it should at that point.  There may still be a conflict of sorts which is killing the program, but I believe it might just be a boot-sequencing problem, which one of your repliers--the one with the blue screen difficulties--alluded to.  I would try changing the sequence first, and although I am hopeful for you, I am not totally convinced that the change will sustain a successful boot.  If it does not, you have the information from David R to try, which looks like it has promise based on his previous experiences with the Avast system, which I am not overly familiar with.  Long-time exposure has hopefully taught me to search for the simplest answers first, and observe, observe.  I do wish you good fortune and hope I haven't led you down a primrose path with lacerating thorns alongside.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:05:33 AM by oldpro »

tryinhard

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 01:20:47 AM »
Thanks to both of you guys.  I am going to put any further effort off until tomorrow--my eyes are toasted--, but maybe there is a ray of hope after all. :)

tryinhard

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 03:08:21 PM »
I am holding off just a bit to see if anyone has a way to copy the 4.8 program with updates before I uninstall to attempt 5.0 again.  I don't know of a way, but maybe there is.  I just don't look forward to another marathon session of downloading updates if I have to revert back again, which may happen.

tryinhard

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 08:28:23 PM »
I doubt anyone is holding their breath, but a forced shutdown due to a bad-weather power failure has put me behind. I have reviewed everything that has come in before I try again.  Thanks..
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:30:40 AM by tryinhard »

tryinhard

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 02:49:11 AM »
Well, the forced shutdown apparently contained a massive spike that smoked the unit, uncertain just how deep, but not good.  Because of that, my reboot problems are now of little immediate concern.  Kinda cool in another way, though--I'm back on the Dell with 5.0 running perfectly, just as it has all along.  I sincerely thank all of you who took a minute to try to help.  I'm not always so hard to get along with.  Later.... 8)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »
Hey, apart form attracting lightning to your household wiring, I don't think you're hard to get on with at all.
It would be great to know what sort of issue is causing this type of problem, and you've been pretty darned lucid, thorough, and patient about posting the symptoms.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.