Author Topic: Avast Shut Off after Reboot  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Shut Off after Reboot
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 09:53:31 PM »
12:15:52 min/gen  Return code: 0x20000011 [The package is broken.]
Something is wrong with your update (connection?).
The best things in life are free.

The Gink

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »
Not seeing any other connection problems, downloaded the installer package just fine, and it went through it's initial update just fine. Then, after rebooting, there's the red X, the virus definitions show up as "Unknown", I can't update it through Avast because it just says "Avast is not running" or something. The update option in add/remove programs runs and seems to download, but doesn't seem to fix the database issue.

If I use 4.8 I can at least tell it to update the virus database and it will allow it to run again for a while until it once again shows "VPS Destroyed".

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »
If you use version 5 you can still update only the virus definitions, I'm not following your complain...
Are you still using version 4.8 ???

If I use 4.8 I can at least tell it to update the virus database and it will allow it to run again for a while until it once again shows "VPS Destroyed".
The best things in life are free.

The Gink

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 07:55:11 PM »
I've tried both 4.8 and 5 while troubleshooting this problem, using the removal tool in between and doing clean installs to see if one works where the other doesn't. The two have different interfaces and work slightly differently, so while in 4.8 it will show "VPS Destroyed" I can still tell it to update the virus database and it will replace it with a new copy, and then work for a while.

With 5, if I ask it to update the virus database when it shows the database unknown, it won't update it, telling me that avast service isn't turned on. I can have it update through add/remove programs, but this only restores it about 25% of the time.

Either way, constantly doing manual updates to get Avast running for an hour or so until it's database gets corrupted again isn't really optimal. So basically, neither 4.8 nor 5 will work, whichever one I try, the virus database somehow gets "Destroyed" after a short amount of time and then avast isn't running.