Author Topic: Can't save files in Word 2007 on XP due to Avast 5.0 and other problems too  (Read 5569 times)

StaaleGismervik

I have a client who runs Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business. If Avast Professional 5.0 is installed he can't save any documents in Word 2007, excelt for PDF-files. The save-dialog does not appear. Even if you click CTRL+S (to bring up a save-dialog) nothing happens.

I thought it was an error in word so I searched all Word-forums, but to no avail. I then uninstalled Avast and the problem disappeared. When I reinstalled Avast the problem came back. I can not disable any shields in Avast, that does not help.

If I start Word in safe mode (winword /safe) I can save files, but Word is also limited in other areas.

The computer with the problem runs Windows XP Professional (SP3) and Office 2007 SBE. There is no problem in Excel, only word is affected.

Another problem is that search is limited/disabled. When I click search on the start menu and try to search for all files, nothing happens. Also when I try to "go back in time" with help and support (also on the start menu) nothing happens at all. As I said, when I uninstall Avast everything is back to normal.

Hope someone can help me out.

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Hi,

May we know what is your avast version?
Is it AIS or free one or Pro?

May i know have you do boot-time scan with avast?

I am not sure, what is happened with your system, but if possible may you sent to us your HijackThis log?
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
May we know what is your avast version?
Is it AIS or free one or Pro?

If Avast Professional 5.0 is installed
;D

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
StaaleGismervik: is it 32-bit or 64-bit OS? Thanks.

StaaleGismervik

As I said in my first post it is Avast 5.0 Pro. Operating system is Windows XP Pro 32-bit. I have not run a boot scan. The computer is clean, no viruses or spyware. The only problem is that Avast is destroying/blocking some elements in Windows.

When Avast is installed:
Search for files does not work.
Unable to start help and support (to go back to an earlier date).
Unable to open the save file dialog in Word 2007.

When Avast is uninstalled and the computer rebooted everything above works great.

Omass

Although I have this problem, and I have not found a solution to it. Back in the home version and it works for all.
No man has the idea?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@ StaaleGismervik
Has this client previously had another AV installed as this does look like conflict with another security product ?

So when one element of any conflict is removed no problem, but it doesn't identify the true cause. Since avast doesn't start in safe mode there would be no conflicting low level drivers, the other security application or remnants (some are notorious for what is left behind) would I guess not be running either (the whole point of safe mode).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PileOfMush

Edit: Just realized this is a very old post.