Author Topic: Questions about Win7 and Avast  (Read 7808 times)

dford3772

Re: Questions about Win7 and Avast
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
Ah! David, always the voice of reason and sanity.  I now have Avast loaded. On Win 7 is there no orange ball in the system tray---I miss it.  I did see it on the customize list but I could not
make it appear in the tray.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 09:46:23 PM »
It should be there - Have you rebooted since installing if not do so ?

If you have rebooted, check that it isn't hidden, the little inverted triangle on the taskbar (right side of it), hover your mouse pointer over it and a tooltip should display Show hidden icons. If it is there just drag it down to the other tray icons and it should stay there.

Your firefox is way out of date, there is 4.0.1 being the latest version 4.x incarnation and only just released firefox 5.0.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:48:20 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 09:58:10 PM »
Hey, i'm not paranoid. I'm just mad  ;)
;D
But in my opinion this is the safest method today. I use it when i install a PC.
Thats more than opinion, it is fact, safest method by far, although.....
No need to risk getting an infection from a USB drive before you have an AV program installed.
...this is a counterpoint in the case of those that are sloppy with usb habits and do not disable autorun, going online naked 1 time in that case would be possibly safer.

should have known better than to say the "P"-word on a security forum ;D

If you go on-line using Windows 7 SP1 x 64 updated with WD running and using IE9 both of which come with Windows 7 you are not going on-line naked.  Your security is weaker than it should be but it is not naked. :)

In addition if someone like the OP creates a thread like this with their question they probably don't know how to disable auto-run.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:00:35 PM by Nesivos »