Author Topic: Questions about Win7 and Avast  (Read 7689 times)

dford3772

Questions about Win7 and Avast
« on: June 22, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »
I have some questions about Win7 64.  To load Avast Free reasonably safely from the internet
to a brand new pc do I turn on the windows firewall and depend on its protection for the Avast download?

I think MBAM is 32 bit only. What is the best recommendation for antispyware that plays well
with Avast?

Any tips  will be appreciated as this is my first experience with Windows 7 Home Premium 64.
My new machine is Lenovo K330-11691au Idea Center desktop,Windows 7 Home Premium 64, intel i3
2100 processor,1 terrabyte HD,8 Gigs RAM, and intel hd graphics 2000.
Thanks,
Donna in AR

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Questions about Win7 and Avast
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:21:52 PM »
The best way ist to download it on another safe PC and copy the installer on a usb-stick.

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 01:35:57 AM »
There is really nothing to worry about here, short of Avast!'s Cnet download getting hijacked (highly unlikely). 
Just make sure getting Avast! is the first thing you do.  But, as DJBone said, the Ultra-SuperSecure (and lightly paranoid) method would be to bring the installer over from another PC  ;)

I think MBAM is 32 bit only. What is the best recommendation for antispyware that plays well
with Avast?
Well, all 32 bit applications should run fine on 64 bit, so you should not have to change anything, including MBAM. (Avast! is also 32)

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 01:49:14 AM »
But, as DJBone said, the Ultra-SuperSecure (and lightly paranoid) method would be to bring the installer over from another PC  ;)
Hey, i'm not paranoid. I'm just mad  ;) But in my opinion this is the safest method today. I use it when i install a PC.

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

dkreimer

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:11:25 AM »
finally got Rogue Killer to run. report as follows:

Operating System: Windows XP (5.1.2600 Service Pack 3) 32 bits version
Started in : Normal mode
User: Dawn [Admin rights]
Mode: Scan -- Date : 06/22/2011 20:04:08

Bad processes: 3
[SUSP PATH] wanmpsvc.exe -- c:\windows\wanmpsvc.exe -> KILLED
[SUSP PATH] NHWLAtOuAjw.exe -- c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\nhwlatouajw.exe -> KILLED
[ROGUE ST] 14147364.exe -- c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\14147364.exe -> KILLED

Registry Entries: 9
[SUSP PATH] HKCU\[...]\Run : NHWLAtOuAjw (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NHWLAtOuAjw.exe) -> FOUND
[SUSP PATH] HKUS\S-1-5-21-2934302069-2821556552-4076869261-1009[...]\Run : NHWLAtOuAjw (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NHWLAtOuAjw.exe) -> FOUND
[PROXY IE] HKCU\[...]\Internet Settings : ProxyServer (:0) -> FOUND
[HJPOL] HKCU\[...]\System : DisableTaskMgr (1) -> FOUND
[HJPOL] HKLM\[...]\System : DisableTaskMgr (1) -> FOUND
[HJPOL] HKCU\[...]\Explorer : NoDesktop (1) -> FOUND
[HJ] HKCU\[...]\ActiveDesktop : NoChangingWallPaper (1) -> FOUND
[WallPP] HKCU\[...]\Desktop : Wallpaper () -> FOUND
[HJ] HKLM\[...]\NewStartPanel : {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} (1) -> FOUND

HOSTS File:
127.0.0.1       localhost

Finished : << RKreport[1].txt >>
RKreport[1].txt

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 02:15:34 AM »
Window 7 comes with Windows Defender and IE9.

If you have WD running in real time mode and use IE9 to get and download avast! you should not have any problems provided that the Avast website or this forum is the first and only website that you go to with IE9 before you download and install avast!.

In addition avast! will scan your system on install.

No need to risk getting an infection from a USB drive before you have an AV program installed.

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware both play nice with avast!. in real time mode.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 02:17:40 AM »
But, as DJBone said, the Ultra-SuperSecure (and lightly paranoid) method would be to bring the installer over from another PC  ;)
Hey, i'm not paranoid. I'm just mad  ;) But in my opinion this is the safest method today. I use it when i install a PC.

Personally I would always try to get the installation file using another system/friend than go on-line without protection. I always do my preparation on my old system so I have all the security applications ready to be installed off-line on the new system.

It has nothing to do with the cnet download getting hijacked, being on-line even with the windows firewall could expose you to malware port scanning and exploit attempts, etc. Even with fast internet connection were you wouldn't/shouldn't be on-line for long, I don't like being on-line with my metaphorical security trousers round my ankles.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 02:19:48 AM »
finally got Rogue Killer to run. report as follows:
<snip>
You appear to have lost your way, this should be posted in your topic, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=80300.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 03:35:00 AM »
Hey, i'm not paranoid. I'm just mad  ;)
;D
But in my opinion this is the safest method today. I use it when i install a PC.
Thats more than opinion, it is fact, safest method by far, although.....
No need to risk getting an infection from a USB drive before you have an AV program installed.
...this is a counterpoint in the case of those that are sloppy with usb habits and do not disable autorun, going online naked 1 time in that case would be possibly safer.

should have known better than to say the "P"-word on a security forum ;D

dford3772

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 12:58:34 PM »
OK now I'm really frustrated about this 64/32 bit mess that we currently operate in.  I'm appalled
at the reports on-line of how much software won't work; I'm not sure my flash drives or my Free
Agent external HD will even work.  That all being said I'm ready to get to work.

Can I load Avast from say CNET to my Seagate Drive on my 32bit vista laptop, then transfer the drive to the new PC and send copy of avast with no internet as yet hooked up on the new one.  I
assume I will just download avast setup and take it no further.
Is that the way to install Avast?  If I can just get it figured out then I'm good to go with other
downloads.  I plan to use Windows firewall so I guess turn it on after avast is loaded?
Donna

dford3772

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »
Considering the fact that I have tried to transfer Avast to my new Win 7 PC via flash drive.  I have
the setup folder on the drive but when I try to use it on the new machine it wants to start
download and I have not connected to the internet.

I am this close to inserting the trial Norton CD that came with my unit!!!!!!!  I never thought I'd live to say that as I have been a loyal AVAST user for a long time but Norton will work
and I have not been able to do that with AVAST on the flash drive.

I do have IE8 on the new unit but again I have to have the internet to use it.
Can somebody please tell me why I can't use the setup for avast without another download.
Donna in Arkansas

Nesivos

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
Call this number 1-877-877-9362 for help.

See Avast link below for more information.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

cnmoore

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »
with Avast?
MBAM is an excellent program and works well with Avast.  If you have the MBAM Pro with real time protection, then you need to add the Avast .exe file and the Avast folder to the MBAM Ignore List.  Avast just needs to be told once to trust MBAM.

Although MBAM is 32-bit it has no problem with my 64-bit Win 7.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »
You need to download the full installer as opposed to the web installer from CNET - anyone have the full download link... Or there is the latest beta which is a full download

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »
Direct link for the full installation file, http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe.

I you feel up to the pre-release build, check the first post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=80315.0, which gives information and links, this may be a step too far for you, whilst it is relatively stable it is still beta.