Author Topic: mail protection  (Read 10700 times)

Runaway1956

mail protection
« on: October 28, 2003, 04:15:03 AM »
I'm a relatively new avast user.  I already love it, cause it has rescued me twice from things that Norton and/or Ontrack had missed.

I learned long ago, that most internet worms and virii are targeted at Outlook, so we don't use any outlook products in this house.  Pegasus is our chosen E-mail client, and it would require a major confrontation to change the family to something else, lol

Anyway, I'm not clear on how to configure avast to protect my computer from e-mail hazards.  There isn't a screen where you can browse to, and point avast at the client.  I've probably been into the configuration screens a dozen times now, and miss such a tool everytime.

I DID tell avast to display a progress screen while scanning mail, but I don't see such a screen.

I'll admit that I might have searched more thoroughly before posting, but this old guy is getting tired, and wants to fall into bed,  ;)

Thanks,

Runaway

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:mail protection
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 10:30:50 AM »
What version of Pegasus are you using?
As described in this thread: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1157;start=msg6365#msg6365 avast can automatically set up protection only for versions below 4.1 (not inclusive).

If you're using v4.1x you'll need to set up the protection manually using the 127.0.0.1 trick. Please refer to the avast online help -> Settings up the Mail Protection -> Manual Setting of Mail Protection, or use the Search feature of this forum to find a briefer explanation (search for e.g. 127.0.0.1).

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 06:52:29 PM »
Hi Runaway,

Vlk is correct as usual  :P . If you need any further info., give a shout... I too am a Pegasus fan using Avast.

Walker.

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 06:32:58 AM »
Okay, what email clients have you tried with Avast?  As for me it's Outlook Express and Calypso.  I've download Pegasus and will give it a try too to see how I like it.  I have also used Eudora but not too much.

shgoh

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 07:13:37 AM »
Okay, what email clients have you tried with Avast?  As for me it's Outlook Express and Calypso.  I've download Pegasus and will give it a try too to see how I like it.  I have also used Eudora but not too much.

i'm using thunderbird with avast....it rockzz... ;D

Runaway1956

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 03:07:07 AM »
Thank you guys: that is exactly what I was looking for, but was to blind to see, lol.  I need to do this stuff BEFORE I get tired.

Culpepper, almost any mail client is better than any version of Outlook, simply because they don't belong to Bill, and therefore are not targeted by the scriptkiddies/crackers.  Anything made my Microsoft is full of security holes, or we wouldn't see as many as 5 security updates from them in a week's time.

Pegasus is not necessarily my Favorite mail client, but it is the one we compromised on, and the family uses now.  It is easy to set up, configure, and use.  It's not a memory hog, ran well on 98SE, and it runs well on both XPhome and pro.  It has all the features one could ask for in a mail client, including spam filtering, so all that's left is aesthetics.  That passes the wife's standards, lol

By all means, take a look at it.

Culpeper

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 03:35:13 AM »
Thank you guys: that is exactly what I was looking for, but was to blind to see, lol.  I need to do this stuff BEFORE I get tired.

Culpepper, almost any mail client is better than any version of Outlook, simply because they don't belong to Bill, and therefore are not targeted by the scriptkiddies/crackers.  Anything made my Microsoft is full of security holes, or we wouldn't see as many as 5 security updates from them in a week's time.

Pegasus is not necessarily my Favorite mail client, but it is the one we compromised on, and the family uses now.  It is easy to set up, configure, and use.  It's not a memory hog, ran well on 98SE, and it runs well on both XPhome and pro.  It has all the features one could ask for in a mail client, including spam filtering, so all that's left is aesthetics.  That passes the wife's standards, lol

By all means, take a look at it.

I'm with ya on the "Bill" platform.   You win a point with us for that one!

Walker

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 06:27:42 AM »
Okay, what email clients have you tried with Avast?....  I've download Pegasus and will give it a try too to see how I like it.

Culpeper,

You might find that Pegasus hasn't got the fancy gui that other clients have. You might also not find all the features straight away, but all the bells and whistles are there in Pegasus. It has quiet strict rules about the displaying of html which at first seem like a fault, but digging around in the help files (very comprehensive) will sort that out.

Pegasus is the kind of application you either love or hate and was original put together with strong network support, which it still has. imho you need to give a couple of weeks or so to really get the feel.

Good luck,
Walker

Culpeper

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 06:36:58 AM »
Well, right off my first concern is being able to drag and drop a message into a Windows folder from Pegasus to the Windows desktop.  It doesn't seem to want to do this.  In fact, OE is the only program I've been able to do this with.  This is important to me because it make it easier to copy the message into a SpamStalker folder where I can then bounce the message or report it the owner of the IP block.  Of course, I can simply report the message to www.spamcop.net (which I do) but I'm in the habit of first using Spamstalker.  The drag and drop function from the email client to a desktop folder is much more efficient than a Save As function than I've been experiencing with Eudora, Calypso, and now Pegasus.  

I'm, of course, open to any suggestions or guidance.

Walker

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 07:05:55 AM »
Culpeper,

I think your right, Pegasus won't d&d between applications.

I've not used spamstalker so I not familiar with what your doing. When I used to use spamcop, I merely cut & pasted the message headers/text.

However, all is not lost  ;) and you might be able to make life even easier  ;D . You could try Pegasus's 'filter rules'. You may be able to set a 'new mail filter' and use the 'extract' option to send the message to your pre-defined folder.

[edit] you can also run external apps from the filter rules.[/edit]

Walker.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 07:10:02 AM by Walker »

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 05:59:33 AM »
Okay, thanks I'll check that out!

Culpeper

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2003, 07:58:50 AM »
Walker

Okay, I've test Pegasus, Eudora, Thunderbird, The Bat, Calypso,  and PocoMail for my own personal needs.  

They are all very good email clients.  Much better than OE, which I find very basic except for that one thing about drag and drop messages into any Windows folders, which all the others don't seem to allow.  Probably due to the way the others index their messages into a single file and so forth.  Of all the alternatives I find Pocomail the most versatile with numerous strongpoints that I won't bore anyone with.  One drawback is that Pocomail is a shareware software package.  Nevertheless, for better or worse, the makers have left their software wide open for those that develop "cracks" for "security purposes."  Pocomail does have other alternatives for saving messages into any Windows folder for other uses by using OE's .eml extension, which is very convenient.

BTW, Calypso is now back on the market under the new name, Courier.  I haven't test it yet but reviews are very good on this program.

Incidentally, all these email clients mentioned work very well with Avast email scanner.

For further review on Pocomail:

http://email.about.com/cs/winclientreviews/gr/pocomail.htm
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 08:06:55 AM by Culpeper »

Walker

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 02:48:06 AM »
Thanks for the review Culpeper, interesting.

Out of curiousity, what did you think of Thunderbird?. I haven't tried it but heard some good things  :)

I tried PocoMail some time ago and thought it had a very good (changeable) interface. One thing put me off though, and that was quiet a few niggles from users in Poco's own forums... Forums are not for niggles, are they  ;D ;D and strangely there was no button to delete a message which I thought a bit basic  :-\ . I noticed, again on their forum, that this seemed to be an issue and one member reported deleting ALL of his e-mails !. Knowing my luck, that was where I left Poco  8)

Culpeper

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 05:04:48 AM »
It looks like Poco has put a delete button on an open message.  I've been deleting using the keyboard in the preview list.

Thunderbird is cool.  Nice and simple.  I liked it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 09:23:28 PM »
If anybody wants to configure Spamihilator and avast! to be used in the same computer, please, see this related forum.
The best things in life are free.