Author Topic: Updated avast!, Problems w/ Sygate  (Read 6957 times)

download_fiend

Updated avast!, Problems w/ Sygate
« on: June 11, 2004, 03:30:29 AM »
I originally posted this in the Sygate Personal Firewall Forum, and I was recommended to post it here as well.  Here is the link to the post in the Sygate Forum:

Sygate Doesn't "Remember my answer..."
http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10043

For almost every program I have Sygate is able to remember whether or not I want to grant it access to the internet.  However, there are 2 programs that Sygate fails to remember.  One is a Microsoft program, so I won't ask about that here since this is an avast! forum.  As you might have guessed, the other program that Sygate forgets is avast!  Here is the messages it gives me when I try to manually update.  avast! tries to contact a number of different IP addresses, not just the one that appears below.

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast01.setup is trying to connect to download3.avast.com [216.127.72.135] using remote port 80 (HTTP - World Wide Web).  Do you want to allow this program to access the network?

Note: This application was launched by Virus scanner (ashSimpl.exe).  If you do not recognize this program or you do not think it should be able to access the Internet, please click the "No" button to deny network access to this program."

This is the updater for avast! antivirus.  I believe this program, or at least a similar program, is always running in the background, automatically checking to see if I am connected to the internet and, if I am, checking for updates.  However, I only see the Sygate "do you want to grant access" window when I manually try to update the program.  I check the "Remember my answer, and do not ask me again for this application." box and hit yes, but it keeps asking me over and over again.

The only way I can successfully connect to the avast! server is to tell Sygate to "Allow All."  I didn't have this problem with the avast! updater until today after I updated the avast! program (as opposed to only the virus database).  I had no trouble updating the program, but now I cannot manually update the program or the virus database without disabling Sygate.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Staind

Re:Updated avast!, Problems w/ Sygate
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 03:49:40 AM »
I had this exact same problem.  Since I've been having problems with Sygate, I decided to take it off.  I'm not sure what will work for you, but it must definitely be a problem with Avast!, since it worked fine before the new update.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 03:49:53 AM by Staind »

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 05:24:08 AM »

That's strange ... but, I use ZoneAlarm free (and not the newest one since it is not as good as the last version) and it only asked me once if I should allow the service. It seems that Sygate has this type of problem often.

Sorry, but I don't know enough about Sygate. Some other Sygate users had this problem with the last version also. Try the Search feature on this forum (at the top of the page) to find out what was done last version. That might help you this time.

honyak122

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 06:02:35 AM »
Hello,
I am using Sygate PF with the avast update and not experiencing this problem. All is working fine.
I cannot suggest any corrections at this time but if I find  any, I will post it.
avast and sygate has been trouble free and very reliable for me, I hope you can get your problem corrected.

peter Crofts

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 06:31:37 AM »
I have got exactly the same problem as "Fiend" try to update manually some problem, so Iv'e disabled sygate.

crofty :-\

Beerbreath

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 07:01:04 AM »
Sounds like there's a few of us with this same Sygate syndrome. Just happened after the latest update and it is annoying. Agnitum has Outpost fire wall which is not a bad freebie along with Zone Alarm so if Sygate has beerzheimerz, I'll just swap it out. Sure as hell not going to give up my Avast!

peter Crofts

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 07:23:53 AM »
I uninstalled sygate and reinstalled it now it seems okay.

I've tried updating virus database 3 times after saying yes an to remember this action i have had no more trouble with avast updates since.

crofty :D

cousindave

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 07:44:11 AM »
Crap,this same thing happened with the last Avast program update.
I could never get Sygate to play nice with avast,so I quit using avast for awhile.
I just started using it again a week ago and now after the program update,the conflict is back.
 :'(

peter Crofts

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 08:31:40 AM »
I could never get Sygate to play nice with avast,so I quit using avast for awhile.
I just started using it again a week ago and now after the program update,the conflict is back.

Okay I'm crap

crofty

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 08:37:38 AM »
I believe the problem lies in the fact that the program that is used to do the updates (avast.setup - this is really the name of the executable - no .exe extension) does NOT exist on the disk most of the time. It is temporarily flushed to the disk, launched and consequently deleted after it completes -- this happens with each and every update attempt.

So I think Sygate somehow cannot cope with this scenario -- what particularly iritates it is the absence of the avast.setup file on the disk...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

cousindave

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 08:40:42 AM »

Okay I'm crap

crofty
Nope,you're the bomb!!
Uninstalled Sygate and reinstalled,worked like a charm. ;D

Staind

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 09:26:47 PM »
I believe the problem lies in the fact that the program that is used to do the updates (avast.setup - this is really the name of the executable - no .exe extension) does NOT exist on the disk most of the time. It is temporarily flushed to the disk, launched and consequently deleted after it completes -- this happens with each and every update attempt.

So I think Sygate somehow cannot cope with this scenario -- what particularly iritates it is the absence of the avast.setup file on the disk...
Hm. Have you thought about notifying Sygate about this? It really is quite annoying for the majority of users.

Beaky

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 09:45:01 PM »
These Problems have happened before at the last program update, I believe that the solution has already been  posted in this forum by others, please follow this link http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=4558;start=msg32919#msg32919